Where to put ricordea?

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple ricordea florida that I'm getting ready to put into my display tank and would like some suggestions on placement for them. I have a nero 5 on the left side of the tank that is slightly aimed towards the island on the right hand side. A full tank shot of display is included along with pictures of the ricordea.
20210925_143007.jpg
20210918_174029.jpg

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love ricordeas!!! Have some myself. I’d put them on the rock right in front of your Pygmy Angel.
I have wanted some for awhile and a LFS near me got a bunch in that were the orange colored and the darker colored one. I went the day he posted them and pick those 2 up. I could have bought a lot more but had to restrain myself.

Are you talking about the one that is over hanging the sandbed? Just trying to clarify. That is pretty much right where the powerhead is pointed. Will the flow be too much?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have wanted some for awhile and a LFS near me got a bunch in that were the orange colored and the darker colored one. I went the day he posted them and pick those 2 up. I could have bought a lot more but had to restrain myself.

Are you talking about the one that is over hanging the sandbed? Just trying to clarify. That is pretty much right where the powerhead is pointed. Will the flow be too much?
Yes, that little overhang. As far as your powerhead. Two things: your Nero 5 is controllable. Or if you wish to keep it at that flow rate, just scooch it to one side or the other by an inch or two until the rics are not in direct flow.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that little overhang. As far as your powerhead. Two things: your Nero 5 is controllable. Or if you wish to keep it at that flow rate, just scooch it to one side or the other by an inch or two until the rics are not in direct flow.
I have it set on the random flow while the lights are on so it ramps up and down. I don't remember the range I have it set at and at night it is at a slower flow but constant. I have seen differing opinions on how much flow they should get and whether it should be direct or indirect.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it set on the random flow while the lights are on so it ramps up and down. I don't remember the range I have it set at and at night it is at a slower flow but constant. I have seen differing opinions on how much flow they should get and whether it should be direct or indirect.
Very cool myAI is a great/easy tool. I have mine set at 70% in a corner of my 180g. Just right :)

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool myAI is a great/easy tool. I have mine set at 70% in a corner of my 180g. Just right :)
Yes I plan on getting another nero 5 to put on the right side probably in the back corner. The spot under the nero now collects all the detritus. My primes can have connection issues sometimes. I have had to reset their connections a couple times. They are just the HD not the 16hd.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I plan on getting another nero 5 to put on the right side probably in the back corner. The spot under the nero now collects all the detritus. My primes can have connection issues sometimes. I have had to reset their connections a couple times. They are just the HD not the 16hd.
In a bare bottom tank that’s ideal to have debris/detritus collect in one area for easy clean up. But do what you can with your power heads to get stuff off of the sand and back up to the overflow. Looks like you’re collecting some nice equipment. Congrats!

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a bare bottom tank that’s ideal to have debris/detritus collect in one area for easy clean up. But do what you can with your power heads to get stuff off of the sand and back up to the overflow. Looks like you’re collecting some nice equipment. Congrats!
Thank you I appreciate it! I just have a HOB skimmer right now. Haven't made the leap to a sump yet.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida
20210520_090643.jpg
Riccordea are super hardy. They tolerate pretty high light and low light in my tank. One thing, they can easily take over a rock once they start propagating themselves. I'm in the process of moving mine off my rock and onto a rock rubble area on the sand. The riccordea tick off my blastomussa merletti though.

OP
OP
dnott3

dnott3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Florida
20210520_090643.jpg
Riccordea are super hardy. They tolerate pretty high light and low light in my tank. One thing, they can easily take over a rock once they start propagating themselves. I'm in the process of moving mine off my rock and onto a rock rubble area on the sand. The riccordea tick off my blastomussa merletti though.
I would like a ricordea garden. So if they take over a little area it would be fine with me!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back