Where's the bubble algae magic treatment???

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been several breakthroughs in this hobby to combat some of the worst types of algae... Why hasn't there been one for bubble algae??? All I ever hear/read is emerald crabs. But they are not 100% and some even eat corals. Caught mine picking at my Aussie torch. I did find that peroxide squirted right on it turns it white within a few days. But I'm also starting to think that the deterioration of it releases spores and becomes a major outbreak... This is where I'm at now! Doesn't kill corals, but it bugs the crap outta me because it's... well, algae! Someone PLEASE make a magic treatment that can just be dosed to the tank safely!!!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm conducting some extensive testing after the holidays on an existing product utilized in a new method that I hope will finally cure the dreaded bubbly menace.

Here's a sneak peak

Introducing , bubble be gone!
(TM , patents applied for )

IMG_0291.JPG

jrwoltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm conducting some extensive testing after the holidays on an existing product utilized in a new method that I hope will finally cure the dreaded bubbly menace.

Here's a sneak peak

IMG_0291.JPG
And, when that doesn't work, what then, what then I ask you???

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a sneak peak

IMG_0291.JPG
I still see a few little bubbles left over there... :p

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to upgrade my tank so I plan on using a wire brush to really scrub all it off then maybe follow that up with a spot treat of peroxide. I'm pretty sure though I'll see in appear in the new tank :(

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to test a theory. I'm going to nuclear scrub my rocks and run a bunch of floss n carbon. Big wc for a couple days , and then dose the vibrant.

That stuff is weird. I've seen it really kill stuff , but the bubbles it's numbingly slow. I'm guessing it's the shell. Soo. Babies have softer shells?

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Vibrant and used it once a week for about 3 months. It did kill alot of the bubble algae after about 2 months, they do say 8 weeks of use. But when I started to get cyano I stopped. Maybe after my upgrade I should start using it again and maybe that will keep it from coming back.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to give it shot. That stuff kills alge. Dunno.

I do have some Micro fauna issues I'm wired about , but if I time it right I think it might work.

I'm also going to try it out as a dip/ qt. Treatment Just for fun.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Vibrant and used it once a week for about 3 months. It did kill alot of the bubble algae after about 2 months, they do say 8 weeks of use. But when I started to get cyano I stopped. Maybe after my upgrade I should start using it again and maybe that will keep it from coming back.

This is my same experience with Vibrant. Haven't had to use it again yet. Dosed for 3 months, killed the bubble algae and kept my glass super clean. Then I developed small case of cyano and I stopped using it.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be really interested in seeing if it would work as a dip.
It definitely made my tank look cleaner but it also killed my chaeto. They did say it might do that though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea. It kills alge. All algae. Lol.

I have some ugly zoas w bubble algae to play with, and the qt is just rock.

Roggio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a bunch of free coral once because it was loaded with bubble algae. I scrubbed it all with a toothbrush and peroxide. I managed to get rid of it all without killing the coral.

I’ve actually seen some of the pros with it in their tanks. I think their tank is mature enough not to care or they just live with it

Slarti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They indicated the rack life is looong i.e. they have not discovered any losing its potency.

Also, from memory the babies and softer skin may just be a thing. I also remember them saying to feel free to rip the bubbles off as there will just be no comeback. I was patient for a while (ok, maybe two weeks...or less) before I just went in and ripped them off. Was clean for many months and lo and behold the other day I saw one again. Ripped that and none since then...

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a bunch of free coral once because it was loaded with bubble algae. I scrubbed it all with a toothbrush and peroxide. I managed to get rid of it all without killing the coral.

I’ve actually seen some of the pros with it in their tanks. I think their tank is mature enough not to care or they just live with it
I have done this as well. Careful not to get peroxide on the coral, I would use a syringe and drip the peroxide all over the plug. It works well at killing any algae on frag plugs.

OP
OP
CurtnStac

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They indicated the rack life is looong i.e. they have not discovered any losing its potency.

Also, from memory the babies and softer skin may just be a thing. I also remember them saying to feel free to rip the bubbles off as there will just be no comeback. I was patient for a while (ok, maybe two weeks...or less) before I just went in and ripped them off. Was clean for many months and lo and behold the other day I saw one again. Ripped that and none since then...
Ok cook thanks. I've wondered if there was any actual scientific evidence that bubble have spores in them, or was it just a theory.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back