Which Activated Carbon Do You Use?

Do you use activated carbon and if so which one?

• Yes I use.....add to thread

Votes: 202 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 81 28.6%

• Total voters

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Carbon in your sock should work just fine as long as it doesn't get tumbled around.

The only reason I put it in the reactor atop of my De-Nitrate is because I don't run a sock. So, for my set up, it's the optimal place to put it to ensure as much water as possible comes in contact with it.

This is a quick pic of the reactor - a Phosban 150 that I shortened by ~3 inches:

reactor.jpg

And the 24g DT it supports:

DT.JPG

Keeping the carbon (and PhosGuard) in the mesh bag ensures they don't tumble. And makes it a lot easier to replace them.

I like the idea of the carbon in a bag in the reaction to keep it from tumbling not to mention half the time to clean the reactor out when u change everything

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I like the idea of the carbon in a bag in the reaction to keep it from tumbling not to mention half the time to clean the reactor out when u change everything

Ya makes sense. I’ll probably just keep using the bag in my sock. I do need to switch a smaller bag, one I have is huge at the moment. May also look into adding phoshard to my setup and switching the Kent marine nitrate sponge to de*nitrate in my reactor. I have both already.

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a couple tablespoons Vertex ROX and one of Aquavitro’s Phosphiltrum GFO (for my 35g system), I think because that’s what the LFS stocks. I put both in a mesh bag and hang that inside my sock filter. I remove and rinse that whenever I change the sock, and add a tablespoon of ROX after two weeks and change both every four. Works good for my low budget system.

OP
OP
CCK_8814

CCK_8814

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 89.5%
17   2   0
I use a couple tablespoons Vertex ROX and one of Aquavitro’s Phosphiltrum GFO (for my 35g system), I think because that’s what the LFS stocks. I put both in a mesh bag and hang that inside my sock filter. I remove and rinse that whenever I change the sock, and add a tablespoon of ROX after two weeks and change both every four. Works good for my low budget system.

No adverse affects mixing the carbon and GFO? I wasn’t aware you could mix, I thought the GFO had to be gently tumbled.

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No adverse affects mixing the carbon and GFO? I wasn’t aware you could mix, I thought the GFO had to be gently tumbled.
Not that I’ve seen, I mix the GFO with the ROX in the mesh bag to keep it from clumping together. I believe I saw something about mixing them like this on BRS, but it only works without tumbling otherwise the GFO will grind the carbon down.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS ROX .8 in a mesh bag. 1/2 cup lasts a couple weeks.

Violetaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one type of carbon is treated with phosphoric acid to increase active sites to increase adsorbtion? and I don't know which type that is. Is it the catalytic carbon? Does any one know. Would like to avoid that type as it may leach phosphorous or phosphates?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is activated carbon that is is treated with phosphoric acid for extra absorption,
Catalytic carbon is in essence coconut shell carbon which is the highest grade but its surface has been modified in a new process that causes the ionic structure of the carbon to be altered in such a way as to massively enhanced catalytic capability. It will not leach due t o its structure. Activated carbon converts the chlorine in the chloramine to chloride. That leaves behind ammonia. And this is where the catalytic part kicks in as it has the ability to retain oxygen which enables the ammonia to be oxidised / burnt up.

Brent Bohannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea is just as clean as Rox, doesn't slip through the reactor filter, and costs less. Savings is a little over a penny per gram but that adds up quick. Really I just like the fact it doesn't slip through the filters or get clogged in them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back