Which ATI fixture to purchase?

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up my first tank in a few years, life and moving got in the way but that's a whole long story... I'm starting back with a 48x18x21 with a 30 long for a sump. I'm hoping to start with a few fish, softies and move into lps and maybe at some time down the road sps or at least another sps only tank that can bookend this one. (Big dreams )
Can't decide which is best ATI T5s, 4 bulb or 6. I want to go with the dimmable version of either for the ease in ramping up and down the lights through the day rather than just blasting them for the photo period on a timer. I've scoured the web, emailed on line sellers etc, no reputable LFS within hours of where I live so I've just relied on months of reading and research in the tank plans. Just can't find much info from sellers so thought I'd come to those that know. I want to get the best I can afford one time and will save for the 6 if I need to. Don't want regrets if I buy the 4 wishing I had the 6 but then if I don't need six why spend the extra bucks when I can use for inhabitants? Any and all comments welcome. Thanks

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge 48 inch fixtures only come in 6 or 8 bulbs, 36 inch fixtures only come in 4 and 6.

This really depends on how much light you want based on your coral selection. My tank is 48 X 24 X 16 (height) and I have a 48, 6 bulb, with space front and back. Assuming your 18 inches is the depth, a 6 bulb fixture will leave only a few inches front and back and the 48 will tap out your tank width. Conversely, you could go with a 36 inch fixture and leave the ends of your tank shaded, but if you do then I would definitely go with a 6 bulb. A 36 inch, 4 bulb, fixture is too small for your tank dimensions, IMO.

FWIW I run a mixed reef, softies bottom, LPS bottom to mid, SPS top. So, don't assume you'll hammer them with too much light. My tank is only 16 inches tall and the light is just fine. Side note: you can suspend these lights which makes it easy to adjust just how much light you're providing.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on the dimmable fixture. They're a "nice to have," but by no means a necessity. Your coral won't thank you for it; meaning, you're not going to see any different in growth or health... just my .02. Only perk I can see of the dimmable is that it has 1 power cord. I'd save your money, go with the standard vs dimmable and put your money in other equipment, again... my .02. Hope this helps!

ATI North America

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Sunpower is available in 4, 6, and 8 bulbs in the 24", 36", 48" and 60".
The Dimmable Sunpower is available in 4, 6, and 8 bulbs in the 24", 36", 48".

The LED Powermodule is available in 4, 6(coming soon), and 8 bulbs in the 24", 36", 48" and 60".

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To my knowledge 48 inch fixtures only come in 6 or 8 bulbs, 36 inch fixtures only come in 4 and 6.

This really depends on how much light you want based on your coral selection. My tank is 48 X 24 X 16 (height) and I have a 48, 6 bulb, with space front and back. Assuming your 18 inches is the depth, a 6 bulb fixture will leave only a few inches front and back and the 48 will tap out your tank width. Conversely, you could go with a 36 inch fixture and leave the ends of your tank shaded, but if you do then I would definitely go with a 6 bulb. A 36 inch, 4 bulb, fixture is too small for your tank dimensions, IMO.

FWIW I run a mixed reef, softies bottom, LPS bottom to mid, SPS top. So, don't assume you'll hammer them with too much light. My tank is only 16 inches tall and the light is just fine. Side note: you can suspend these lights which makes it easy to adjust just how much light you're providing.

I personally wouldn't spend the money on the dimmable fixture. They're a "nice to have," but by no means a necessity. Your coral won't thank you for it; meaning, you're not going to see any different in growth or health... just my .02. Only perk I can see of the dimmable is that it has 1 power cord. I'd save your money, go with the standard vs dimmable and put your money in other equipment, again... my .02. Hope this helps!

I second this with the dimmable and I would go with the 48 6 bulb but if you are fine with SPS only in the middle and can put LPS, etc on the sides then you could go with the 36 6 bulb.

I love my 8 bulb 60 inch over my 180.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back