Which controller to buy

Blue face angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching controllers for awhile now and think I am more confused now then before started looking. At first just wanted to control lights and heater . Also to monitor temp , ph, and other things as grow. Now I would like to add some dosing pumps and be able to control with iPhone. I understand almost all the controllers can do this but setting them up is what worries me. I just want suggestions on which one is just a plug in and go.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the APEX Neptune controller for about 1.5 years now and it is great! Most say that they have awesome customer service, but I wouldn't know because I have never had to talk to them. Setting up the controller to your computer and Iphone is slightly confusing for people like me who are average at computer stuff like this. There is an "unofficial" manual to the APEX out there that is a HUUUUGGE help for those who want to take the APEX to the next level. (I will help you find it if you decide to choose this controller.)

I control my lights, dosers, pumps, powerheads, heaters ect and have had zero issues. Once it is set up it is very easy to modify settings.

When I did my research back 2 years ago for a controller I came to the conclusion that APEX is the best option. Good Luck with your search.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex, RKE, RKL, and Reef Angel are all heavily supported on the forums and with the manufacturers, some reports show some companies better than others. They all are relatively easy to set up depending on what you are trying to do. The Profilux is very god as well, but is more expensive and can be difficult to get some parts. I believe they all have iPhone apps for monitoring and control.

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an APEX running our facility and love it. Its monitoring and controlling ph, temp, and 56 outlets. We also have the iPhone and iPad apps running smoothly.

I have owned two other brands of controllers but this is my favorite so far.

OP
OP
Blue face angel

Blue face angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent 4 hours getting the reefkeeper light all set up and still having no luck with with net adapter . So iPhone app is out of question. If this is suppose to be one of the easier controllers to set up then really glad didn't get something different . I still love the idea of being able to monitor my tank on phone but starting to think its only for computer savvy people. Well I will keep working with it but someone may be getting a good deal on one if cant figure it out soon.

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is more likely with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) than with the controller or net module. The default port Digital Aquatics uses in the Net Web Server is 80. 80 is blocked by just about every ISP. If you have the latest firmware on your net module, and you updated the web page with the proper bin file, you'll need to determine what port(s) are open with your ISP. Are you able to access the Net Web server while on your own network? If you are, you are almost there! If you have a local reef keeping forum, post in there asking for help. Someone in your area may have gone through the same thing.

Jeff
SDMAS B.O.D Member
Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Blue face angel

Blue face angel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got the net module to work in home but no way can figure out how to access out of network . This is what I was afraid when buying a controller that would get one and not be able to figure out how to use all the functions that I would like. I'm just forewarning anyone looking at a controller that it is easy to set up to run items on aquarium but the net module is a waist of time unless you are computer sazzy and know how to reprogram your home router . For the same money instead of getting reef keeper light with net could have just gotten the elite model.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back