• Apex Classic

Votes: 14 87.5%

• Total voters

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into getting a controller for my 180g. I'm stuck between digital aquatics reefkeeper and the apex. I've looked at all of them and each has its own pros and cons with what they come with. I like the apex for it's phone app capabilities but I like the reefkeeper as they seem to come with more for less $. What are your guys opinion?

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex all the way... I would go the classic.. If u go with 2016 model I would still hardwire cat 5 and not go Wireless.. Just my 2 cents

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose the Reefkeeper, but that's becuase I don't want the Internet/phone app integration offered by Apex. In general, IoT device security is awful.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from a reefkeeper to an apex on my new build and feel like it is better all around. More products are apex compatible than with the rk. Programming is easier. Built in Internet compatability.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at or thought about the Profilux? I use a GHL doser currently and love it; next controller will definitely be a Profilux.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at or thought about the Profilux? I use a GHL doser currently and love it; next controller will definitely be a Profilux.

Little out of my price range. Even the Apex classic is up there considering you still have to purchase the salinity probe and module. Hoping I can find a used Apex classic

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty happy with my used apex classic. I got a pretty good deal on mine since it was missing the temp probe but I'd rather buy new probes than inherit old ones. Make sure to read up on the salinity probe, a lot of people say it's not worth it.

John Lohsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the reefkeeper and it works great for me. If your ok with not having all the bells and whistle and a cost of a third of the apex then the reefkeeper is the way to go.

dogum99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on your needs. I have had both and the apex is hands down a better controller for what I wanted and needed it to do. The reefkeeper just wasn't able to do what the apex was capable of. Now this was years ago and things may have changed.

WrongGenotype

Gene
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run both for years and still do but like using Apex Fusion better than myReef 2.0 so I prefer the Apex Classic.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into getting a controller for my 180g. I'm stuck between digital aquatics reefkeeper and the apex. I've looked at all of them and each has its own pros and cons with what they come with. I like the apex for it's phone app capabilities but I like the reefkeeper as they seem to come with more for less $. What are your guys opinion?
What all you want to do with the controller ? And what's your budget ?

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have I guess people are calling Apex classic. I guess the new ones have the orange color and some other things I"m not aware of. Since I have one and have had no issues over the years ....I recommend them. I also hear allot of good things from Profilux controllers. I have never used one or seen one, but people compare the Apex to them. May want to review those as well.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back