Which Fish Have the Most Benefits?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small? I've been looking for something for my dad's 20 gallon. His hair algae isn't horrible but I would like to find something to help out. Most of the good algae eaters I'm aware of aren't ok for that size tanks.
Blennies ? Like tailspot etc
What else you have in that tank? Tailspot can munch on zoas other long polyps if it’s not well fed . Trochus and hermits are good as well, including emerald crab

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies ? Like tailspot etc
What else you have in that tank? Tailspot can munch on zoas other long polyps if it’s not well fed . Trochus and hermits are good as well, including emerald crab
We have an emerald in there and he munches on it sometimes. They are funny, they eat hair algae when they are in the mood or nothing else is available lol. I thought about a blenny, however my lawnmower doesn't touch hair algae. He eats the fine stuff on the glass and rocks but not the hair for some reason.

OP
OP
drcole

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys recommend for a sand sifter that doesnt kick up much sand? I like the look of corals on the bottom of the tank and will finally be able to achieve that after just picking up a 6 bulb ATI

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How small? I've been looking for something for my dad's 20 gallon. His hair algae isn't horrible but I would like to find something to help out. Most of the good algae eaters I'm aware of aren't ok for that size tanks.
One would be perfect for a 20g.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Starry Blenny killed a trigger? Wowza. I've never seen them bother anyone, unless it was another blenny...

Yeah it was pretty wild. He was the most aggressive fish I owned, I think I got really unlucky with him because they rarely are aggressive towards other fish, like you said especially if it’s not another blenny.

Rory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus Wrasse is hands down the best pest control you can get... they will take out just about any parasite, flat worm etc. that you have. Mine was awesome but hated any other long fish (such as firefish) and would not let them come out of the rocks. Was fine with tangs and anything else though.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus Wrasse is hands down the best pest control you can get... they will take out just about any parasite, flat worm etc. that you have. Mine was awesome but hated any other long fish (such as firefish) and would not let them come out of the rocks. Was fine with tangs and anything else though.

What about snails and shrimp? I've heard of Wrasse killing and eating your cleanup crew.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about snails and shrimp? I've heard of Wrasse killing and eating your cleanup crew.
I have found some dead snails in my tank, but not sure if it was my melanurus or my hermits or they just died. I've never actually seen him go after a snail.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wrasse for me. Tangs require bigger tanks , gobies require sand . There are other non fish counterparts for them , so we have alternatives . But wrasse is a natural pest killer , available for all tank sizes and can be kept with limited sand or bare bottom . The job they do , has few natural alternatives other than adding chemicals.

Agreed. That and Tangs can be mega jerks.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both of those could work for a 20 gallon tank, a tailspot blenny would also be a decent choice.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on that blenny and the jets bandwagon as well... Love my Starry and Tailspot.

That being said, what about the honorary fish? Inverts.. My tuxedo urchins are by far the best algae consumer workhorse in the tank.

jdinspector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tail spot blenny. He does a great job. The other day I moved a snail that had gotten knocked over onto a patch of GHA near the blenny's cave, and she proceeded to ram into the snail until it got knocked off the rock to save the algae for herself!

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an orange spotted rabbitfish that will eat _anything_ green... including bubble algae. Awesome algae eater.

Most of the sand sifting fishes make too big of a mess for me, constantly digging and moving sand around. I have found one that I really like, though. Bi-color Goatfish. Constantly moving through the surface layer of sand, but never digging deep holes or pushing around mounds of sand.

Not a fish, but most of my sand maintenance is done by a pair of sand conchs.

Rory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hermits, snails and even a few peppermint shrimp in my system... he never touched any of them. Just hated my dang Firefish. LOL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back