Which Fish Have the Most Benefits?

drcole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which fish benefit this hobby the most? I know many people have wrasses to munch on unwanted pests like flatworms, and tangs to help manage algae, what else is out there that you guys recommend?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxfaces, tangs, and blennies are good at algae control.
Wrasses, dottybacks, damsels are good at pest control.
I like them best in that order for each category.

tinkwithanr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny is constantly looking for and pecking at algae. He's a great addition with lots of character.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blenny is constantly looking for and pecking at algae. He's a great addition with lots of character.
+1 my Starry Blenny is also constantly pecking at the tank and equipment as he makes his rounds, in between perching on his high rock throne. LOL :rolleyes::)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like having a sand-sifter in my stock list. They help keep the substrate clean. :)

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 my Starry Blenny is also constantly pecking at the tank and equipment as he makes his rounds, in between perching on his high rock throne. LOL :rolleyes::)

I can’t recommend these fish anymore after my experience with one. Killed a niger trigger and lineatus wrasse as well as picked on any large herbivores.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t recommend these fish anymore after my experience with one. Killed a niger trigger and lineatus wrasse as well as picked on any large herbivores.
Funny you should mention that ^^^. When it was in the QT it absolutely terrorized the pink spot goby that was with it until I put eggcrate with mesh to separate the two. But in the DT, they get along just fine. Fish are weird cavemen :D

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see they may nip at SPS, it’s a reefer 350 I plan to be SPS dominant so that may be a big no no
aw okay! Mine hasn't nipped at any corals (fingers crossed) haha

CherBear811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Starry Blenny killed a trigger? Wowza. I've never seen them bother anyone, unless it was another blenny...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs for algae, gobies for keeping the bedding loose and wrasses for pest control.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
JUST HAD TO !!!!!

Orca-Killer-Whale-6.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second sand sifting gobies and love matted filefish for majano and aiptasia control. When they snack on other foods or are done, they’re easy to remove and trade around your local reefing groups!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface cleaned off a solid half inch of GHA on my back glass in a week. I couldn't believe it.

In my 210, nitrate and phosphate are off the charts (higher than salifert reads) and my bicolor angel, to tomini tang, and foxface keep every bit of algae in check.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s wrasse for me. Tangs require bigger tanks , gobies require sand . There are other non fish counterparts for them , so we have alternatives . But wrasse is a natural pest killer , available for all tank sizes and can be kept with limited sand or bare bottom . The job they do , has few natural alternatives other than adding chemicals.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For small tanks rainsford and hectori gobies are great. They are small sand sifters that also eat hair algae.
How small? I've been looking for something for my dad's 20 gallon. His hair algae isn't horrible but I would like to find something to help out. Most of the good algae eaters I'm aware of aren't ok for that size tanks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back