• Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been able to pic a favorite and stick with it. So these are some of my favorites. What do y’all think?
I got a 150 gallon and am looking to get 35-50 clowns depending on size…(lightnings will be less)

but what do you think?!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think skunk clowns are a good choice or just the normal oscellarus clowns. I’ve tried and failed at the harem although it was 5 clowns in a 40b , it worked for a while but then one day the biggest one became territorial and only accepted her mate

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think skunk clowns are a good choice or just the normal oscellarus clowns. I’ve tried and failed at the harem although it was 5 clowns in a 40b , it worked for a while but then one day the biggest one became territorial and only accepted her mate
I get it that everyone likes skunks but I don’t like their look and they don’t act like the normal clowns because of how they act. However I would love a circus but first want to start with a single clutch of clowns.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. Skunks will absolutely have the highest chances of forming a long-term harem. Occs and Percs will often whittle their numbers back down to 2 in all but 150g+ tanks, where they can escape from aggression. Skunks are also far more willing guests to anemones, and in my experience act just like normal clowns (if not more stereotypical). If you don't like the skunk look, then you could look into pink skunks, that's what I've got and the delicate white stripe and peachy undertone is really beautiful.
Personally, I'm not a fan at all of 'designer' clowns, mostly due to mostly unstudied genetics. We just don't know what types of problems we could be breeding into these fish, and in my anecdotal experience designer clowns can sometimes be less... Smart. But that's nothing I've seen in stone, so it may not be true. nevertheless, a harem of pink skunks, onyx percs (naturally occurring, which is neat) or Darwin/Da Vinci Occellaris would owrk, depending on tank size. I wouldn't even attempt a harem in a tank smaller than 120g, I've tried and it didn't work too well.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand why everyone says that skunk clowns are the best harem but I don’t really care for them. Imho I hate their look and don’t consider them a true clownfish. They don’t even have the same color fins as their bodies. You guys can say whatever you want. I however am not interested in those fish. I am looking for the best out of the mentioned or other ocellaris breeds.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody done it without a bunch dying? I think it’s cruel to try at this point not knowing any examples of having happy healthy fish for very long.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody done it without a bunch dying? I think it’s cruel to try at this point not knowing any examples of having happy healthy fish for very long.
Yeah BRS and a few others have done it without losing 1 fish. BRS actually pulled 1 fish out but it survived. Plenty of people do it without losing them.

Back