Which invertebrates host anemones?

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

silia899451

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2025
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I recently started an anemone-only tank but have been thinking of adding a few critters to house the anemones.

Do any non-fish species host anemones?
Thank you all so much.
 
Shrimps should be ok, so should porcelain crabs
 
I've had porcelain, sexy shrimp, and anemone shrimp which for me they hosted my rock flowers instead of my bubbletips. Not sure if my clowns kicked them out lol but still awesome to see them hosting my rock flowers. Sexy shrimp are very cool to watch.
 
The relationship between Anemones and clown fish is symbiotic. This means that the relationship between the two is mutually beneficial.

The anemone feeds off of the clown fish body by cleaning it. And the clownfish gets cleaned by the Anemone. Everybody wins.

And as @D-Nak has already been pointed out; the Anemone hosts the clown fish. When you are invited to someone's home for dinner, they are hosting you.

In my experience, Anemones have only hosted clown fish.
 
I'm not sure that I understand your question. The anemone is the host, so are you asking what besides clownfish will "live" in the anemone?

Yes! Exactly, I am starting an "anemone tank" and want to add some invertebrates.
I was curious if there were any species I should look into that are known for having a good relationship with anemone. :)
 
Yes! Exactly, I am starting an "anemone tank" and want to add some invertebrates.
I was curious if there were any species I should look into that are known for having a good relationship with anemone. :)
Got it. As previously mentioned, porcelain crabs (specifically Neopetrolisthes maculatus/N. ohshimai, the ones that are white with brown spots) will live in anemones as do sexy shrimp. I've had pairs of porcelain crabs living in my anemones and they're a lot of fun to watch.
 
Porcelain crabs.
My nem came with one already living in it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2711.png
    IMG_2711.png
    928 KB · Views: 55

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new