• Other...

Votes: 12 23.5%

• Total voters

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading to a 210g 6' tank soon...and will be supplementing these LEDs w/ 4xT5s and LED SBar actinic bars. Will be a mixed reef with predominantly SPS. Being that the 210g is 30" deep...wondering what would be the best light for that little extra penetration. Not interested in Orpheks...just too expensive.

So what's my best option for around $350/each? Will be buying 3 of these LED fixtures.

Any additional input appreciated, thanks!

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Noopsyche k7s I run 4 as well as 2 Hydra 26s I really don't need the hydras but they were free so I kept them. Plus, 6 pendants really even out the spread an shadowing I just run them a little lower than I would with just 4 k7s

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also go with the Noopsyche k7s I was pleasantly surprised by there performance. You will probably need 6 of them to cover a 6 foot tank. Obviously if cost was not an issue then Radions would be best.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big Kessil Fan so I went with the A360s. Ultimately none of these options are the best at everything.

Kessils offer great color blending and simple intuitive controls, but they aren't as bright and don't have as advanced control as some of the other options. Ultimately all I want is something I can plug in that just works which is why I like Kessil.

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run T5s with Sbar actinic bars but I would go with Reef Breeders if I switched to LEDs. 2-32" fixtures would be in your price range and cover your tank. https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-32-v2/
A BRS video showed the AI Primes with T5s put out great, well distributed par too. I would go with 4 but that would still be in your price range.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean not to say that radions are bad or anything but to dismiss the rest as unable to provide thriving SPS is a fallacy.
When someone asks a question I try to give them the solution that will address the problem best. The OP said he wanted sps. I don’t want what happened to me to happen to the OP. I’ve been through 3 different lights, struggling to keep acros thriving. If I would of just got radions from the get go I’d have a lot more money and bigger colonies by now. This tank is also 30 inches deep, that limits a lot of cheaper options if you want thriving acros. If it was a frag tank, yea, go hog wild with noopsyches. They are great for shallow tanks.

OP
OP
Reefpuck

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run T5s with Sbar actinic bars but I would go with Reef Breeders if I switched to LEDs. 2-32" fixtures would be in your price range and cover your tank. https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-32-v2/
A BRS video showed the AI Primes with T5s put out great, well distributed par too. I would go with 4 but that would still be in your price range.

Yeah considered Reefbreeders but they looked a bit pricey for 2 of the 32" units. Also was under the assumption that AI primes were more for smaller/nano tanks?

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a 24x24 max spread with 18x18 recommended spread. I've never used them myself but some of my friends have had great results growing SPS with them and I was impressed with the BRS review of them in combination with T5s.

kapnkush608

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When someone asks a question I try to give them the solution that will address the problem best. The OP said he wanted sps. I don’t want what happened to me to happen to the OP. I’ve been through 3 different lights, struggling to keep acros thriving. If I would of just got radions from the get go I’d have a lot more money and bigger colonies by now. This tank is also 30 inches deep, that limits a lot of cheaper options if you want thriving acros. If it was a frag tank, yea, go hog wild with noopsyches. They are great for shallow tanks.
True bud, your's and my recommendations are based on personal anecdotal experience. I like what I like and you like what you like as well. I will say that through personal experience I'm growing monticap (not the most demanding SPS) on the bottom of my 24" tank with noopsyches. Granted it may be the hydras just absolutely setting the whole system off who's to know for now. Eventually I'll test par and see factual numbers instead of just using the old ocular apogee 20/20s lol. I was just saying that you can't absolutely dismiss all others abilities over Radions (which are nice lights no doubt). With his budget he could get 6 pendants and a controller for less than the other options and with the planned supplemental t5s he would definitely be more than good in my personal opinion but, I also have an aquarium that's six inches short than his so I have no experience at a 30" height.

Coling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a big sale on Orphek lights right now too. You would spend more than the $1050 budget but still a lot less than 3 Radions. Orphek has an amazing reputation. Personally, I would go with Orphek if price wasn't a concern.

I believe BattleCorals and Therman both use ReefBreeders and grow some of the nicest SPS out there. For the price range you referenced, I am convinced ReefBreeders have the nicest lights out. Great customer service too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like my Noopsyche k7s I run 4 as well as 2 Hydra 26s I really don't need the hydras but they were free so I kept them. Plus, 6 pendants really even out the spread an shadowing I just run them a little lower than I would with just 4 k7s
+1

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ReefLED 90s have great reviews from The BRS investigates episode -you get the color blending of kessil along with an intuitive app (a la AI Hydra).

These are what I am looking at for my upcoming build.

Truth is, you probably can’t go wrong with about any of the major LEDs these days, I’d just go for the one that has the features you find most valuable.

Aquanautical

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down Reefbreeders photon v2+, Amazing light that delivers the results of the big 3 at a better value. Also Logan is the man and truly knows his stuff as well as the good US based warranty. I cannot speak highly enough of @Reef Breeders we need more companies like them in the hobby.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back