Which Light for Black Friday? Radion G6 Pro or Neptune Sky?

Which Fixture for SPS / Mixed Tank?

• Radion G6 Pro

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Neptune Sky

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My new Planet Aquariums 5'x2'x2' Rimless tank will arrive soon. And I am going to purchase lights during Black Friday. Both my choices have similar discounts. So, it's time to choose!...

Which would you choose for a mixed tank with SPS mostly on top? Radion G6 Pro or Neptune Sky?

I already have an Apex controller. My powerheads are Vortech.

Please vote and add comments if you like!

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally never tried Neptune Sky, but I have heard good things about it like good spread, better cooling than Radions, and silent. However, many reefers were disappointed with Radion G6 due to lower par with higher spread from G5. Also, Ecotech mobius app is horrible with lots of issues. It just depends on your preference. If I were you, I would go with SKYs or try other brands out there.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS few months back ran G5 and Neptune. Felt the G4 had better blues than the G5 and preferred the Neptunes overall. Now I'm reading what was said prior about the spread on the G6 having reduce PAR at the cost of lessening the hot spot. Nothing wrong with the blues. Just needing more lights to get PAR. Perhaps look to BRS since they show detailed analysis on that aspect with expected PAR reading s although real world most likely different.

Neptune mimic the Coral Care 2 which was my original preference or now new ATI Staton. Best is go find an LFS using the options sought and seek their advise plus see for yourself the appeal of the look they provide. All have different taste. Some like the Windex look. Some don't. I prefer full spectrum. Fish color matters, too.

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was originally thinking Radion but now the more research I do, I am leaning Sky. I guess either would be fine and it seems like Sky will be easier to work with in terms of my Apex.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would go with the Sky simply because of the better software experience. Both lights are capable of growing coral with no issue. So it comes to quality of life and Neptune is far better at software than Ecotech right now

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you haven’t already look into Ati straton. I haven’t had experience with these but I’ve heard really good things about them

I have an 8 bulb ATI fixture so I called ATI NA about their LED and they said the old version is out of stock in most places and hard to get and also the new version is not available in the US. I also think the old version has parts that are no longer used in new version. So I was concerned about all of that. But I would not be surprised if the quality is good. Thanks

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an 8 bulb ATI fixture so I called ATI NA about their LED and they said the old version is out of stock in most places and hard to get and also the new version is not available in the US. I also think the old version has parts that are no longer used in new version. So I was concerned about all of that. But I would not be surprised if the quality is good. Thanks

The Straton is one of the biggest misses ever IMO. The light is absolutely fantastic but lack of stock, no mounting options, and overall poor distribution killed it.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s talking about their LED offering. What I’m currently considering

Enchanted Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I’d go for xr15’s spaced out evenly

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, why are you switching from the Sunpower to LEDs?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had an ATI T5 fixture for 8 years and I’m ready to try something different. .

This is a new tank and I’m going to finally try an LED fixture. Thanks
I have had LEDs for a while and am going to use an 8 bulb Sunpower on my new 5 ft tank... T5's are far better than LEDs, IMO.

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they ever going to fix the mobius app?!? I generally don’t have any issues but when I do it is aggravating.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a spectrum preference?
Do you have a budget per light, and total, in mind?
Are there are kits that you have looked at?
Have you thought about future - upgrade or tech?

Skys are great lights and are holding up well. I think most of the early complaints are around the cost point. Quality has already been proven. Recently on sale which was nice that brought more people into the kit. Great light with good spread and spectrum without loosing a lot of PAR.

I can't speak of Radion G6. Seems to me I read that G4 and G5's are still going strong. Have you considered those?

Have you looked at Reefi Uno 2.0? Seems they are getting a lot of positive feedback and user experience.

Me personally I'm a happy SKY user so can only provide you information as it relates to that kit. I do not own any Ecotech lighting. Outside of MH, Kessils, and DIY I've been very pleased with Neptune but wanted to asked you a few questions and be unbiased opinion/feedback.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my g6 and zero issues with the app that people speak of??? What went wrong and when? Only thing I saw was they didn’t make the template correct for the ab schedule but when brought to their attention it was fixed soooooo….

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back