Which light?! Kessil or Hd Prime!?

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Js.Aqua.Project

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004484861200186X

They used LEP (Light Emitting Plasma) instead of LEDs, but still used the 6500k spectrum.

Daylight spectrum is more effective for coral growth, but you heavily sacrifice color as zooxanthellae will massively reproduce within the coral, turning the coral brown. But with the mixture of other color diodes, notably blue, you will get the best growth AND the best colors from your corals. Ecotech Marine Radion Pros and Kessil A360X Tuna Blues are your best bet for this.

From a anecdotal standpoint, I have had Acropora Horridas and Tenuis that stayed as a stub for over a year under AI Prime HDs. When I made the switch to Ecotech Marine Radion XR15 Pro G4, the same corals exploded in growth.
If I were you , I would also include the Mitra 7206 lights in that group, plus you get a better spread.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m running 2 prime HD with 2 T5 on a 40B. My BTAs are thriving

CE95437B-EF93-4207-9E27-A2338F72EFAE.jpeg
FTS please. I'm liking the top down view.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it really comes down to the verdict of aesthetics or controllability.

If you really want the best growth and color of your corals, nice even light distribution, and gorgeous shimmer effect, etc., then Kessil A360X is your best bet. I would even say it is mandatory if you want to keep high end acroporas. Again, that warm white diode makes a big difference for growth. Kessil will make your display look very sharp and crisp.

If you want controllability right out of the box and you don't plan on keeping advanced corals that need good light spectrum, AI Prime HDs are your best bet. No need to spend that much money on a Kessil if you're just growing LPS, softies, and easy to keep SPS.

However, the Ecotech Radion Pro XR15 G4 is better than the Kessil, and A LOT better than the AI. These are my go to lights as they are the best reef LEDs. I only use Kessil for their freshwater lights as they are the most superior planted LEDs.

Hamza Hamid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using A160WE tuna blue without controller on same settings for 11hours daily. Corals are extending but losing color. I need an controller for additional price or I will switch to AI n sell kessil.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hamza Hamid
Well, before we can conclude that it is purely the light's fault, we gotta look for human errors.

It could be because the lights are too intense. Too much lights can cause zooxanthellae to expel, causing the corals to bleach. You can control the intensity using the knob at the top. I would suggest lowering the lights and see how the corals respond.

It could be an uncomfortable levels of phosphates. Phosphates will cause the coral too rapidly reproduce zooxanthellae, causing the coral to turn brown. This causes the coral to lose protection against UV diodes, which the Kessil has. Corals have adapted to UV lights in the wild by creating protective color pigments that is used as a sunscreen, which also brings out the best of their colors. However, with high phosphates, the coral is forced to make more zooxanthellae instead of the protective pigment, causing the corals to get burned. Using GFO is good, but it can strip too much phosphates, corals need some phosphates. Brightwell's Phosphat-E remover works really well for me as it works in a pinch and you can control how much phosphate you remove.

There could be other factors that causes the zooxanthellae to expel or rapidly reproduce, but the factors I mentioned is the most common.

I don't see how switch lights makes sense, unless the current light is ridiculously bad. Kessil is one of the best lights you can use. It would rarely make a difference on the corals health if you just switched lights. Consider the above, and then you could decide what you want to do. But I would save the hassle and money if I were you before I would make such decision.

OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question, hoping the AI Prime users can help me with! I just bought a "slightly used" AI Prime plus on Ebay, seller said it's only been used for a few months. When I powered it on there is definitely a fan noise, I just don't know what brand new ones sound straight out of the box so don't have any reference to complain. To those who have had the AI prime for a year or so, do the fan bearings go out and make a louder noise with time? Please help, as I dont know if this is normal or if I should return. Thanks Reef team!

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never buy anything used on eBay. Chances are there's something wrong with it. When it comes to lights, always invest in a new one. Lights are one of the most important equipments, on par with wavemakers. Return it and invest in a new light, AI Primes should be relatively silent. If you're going to buy something used next time, buy it from reefers on this site.

OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never buy anything used on eBay. Chances are there's something wrong with it. When it comes to lights, always invest in a new one. Lights are one of the most important equipments, on par with wavemakers. Return it and invest in a new light, AI Primes should be relatively silent. If you're going to buy something used next time, buy it from reefers on this site.
Are you familiar with Ai primes? Can you factually note the nose level for new from box units? I noticed that online that manufacture notes It has a slight hum, however not sure if the hum levels vary across users.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used AI primes for a year until I switched since I wasn’t happy with the growth. I have never really noticed the noise since have a canopy but I did run 8 of them for my 240. Didn’t really notice the noise even when opening the canopy.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fan grate has been pushed on it can cause rubbing and noise. Overall the light is very quiet, but I guess that is somewhat objective based on what you are used to. If you are not overly concerned I would open the housing and see if the fan sounds any different, if it is, then push up on the grate a little bit to see if you can resolve the issue.

But yes, the fan does make a little noise when it turns on, but from a few feet back I can't really hear it over the other pumps etc.

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I bet the seller on eBay was pretty much selling it because it had a defective fan.

If you don't mind strip LED, one light I would highly recommend is the Blue Heavy Reefbar Pros from 21LED. Hands down the best strip light ever, although not as controllable as the AIs, it does have an option for a ramp timer for sunrise and sunset. You can buy the 10 inch blue heavy light and the ramp timer for $75. $80 if you want to include a hanging kit. Or if you don't care about automatic controllability, not even $60 for the light, manual dimmer, 2 way splitter, and hanging kit (if you go this route, make sure you buy the splitter so it only uses one outlet). All with free shipping. These have the best spectrum and color mixing I have ever seen. And VERY, VERY bright for this fixture. The spread is phenomenal with a whopping 140 degree beam angle. Will give more than enough light for your 12 inch cube. Also silent as there is only a high quality heat sink which the light runs relatively cool. Hands down the BEST budget light you can use. Better than your crappy SB Reef black box leds.

https://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_10in_Blue_Heavy_p/rbpbh10.htm

AI Primes are the best light with controllability out of the box. Ecotech Radions are the best lights period. The new Kessil A360X are the only one worth buying, don't go with anything that doesn't have "X" in the name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I bet the seller on eBay was pretty much selling it because it had a defective fan.

If you don't mind strip LED, one light I would highly recommend is the Blue Heavy Reefbar Pros from 21LED. Hands down the best strip light ever, although not as controllable as the AIs, it does have an option for a ramp timer for sunrise and sunset. You can buy the 10 inch blue heavy light and the ramp timer for $75. $80 if you want to include a hanging kit. Or if you don't care about automatic controllability, not even $60 for the light, manual dimmer, 2 way splitter, and hanging kit (if you go this route, make sure you buy the splitter so it only uses one outlet). All with free shipping. These have the best spectrum and color mixing I have ever seen. And VERY, VERY bright for this fixture. The spread is phenomenal with a whopping 140 degree beam angle. Will give more than enough light for your 12 inch cube. Also silent as there is only a high quality heat sink which the light runs relatively cool. Hands down the BEST budget light you can use. Better than your crappy SB Reef black box leds.

https://www.21ledusa.com/aquarium_led_reefbar_pro_10in_Blue_Heavy_p/rbpbh10.htm

AI Primes are the best light with controllability out of the box. Ecotech Radions are the best lights period. The new Kessil A360X are the only one worth buying, don't go with anything that doesn't have "X" in the name.

After adding all the options, timer & dimmer, plus tax it'll come out to close to $100, which is exactly the cost of the 1 month old Kessil I purchased online that came with a stand:)

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need the timer AND dimmer..., just need either one. One 10 inch fixture that comes with power supply is $45. A ramp timer is 30 bucks if you use the drop option. If you want a hanging kit, an additional $5, which comes in at a total of $80, they don't charge tax unless you're in a certain state. $60 if you go with dimmer option.

That's really good you found a kessil for that price. I don't really like the spectrum the old kessils give off. Kinda makes some lps (such as acan lords) look garbage. Unlike the A360X, they are missing some key color diodes. If they're not X, they're meh. But hey, if you're happy with that light, go figure.

On the other hand, have you received the light yet? Hopefully it is not a scam...

Last edited:
OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need the timer AND dimmer..., just need either one. One 10 inch fixture that comes with power supply is $45. A ramp timer is 30 bucks if you use the drop option. If you want a hanging kit, an additional $5, which comes in at a total of $80, they don't charge tax unless you're in a certain state. $60 if you go with dimmer option.

That's really good you found a kessil for that price. I don't really like the spectrum the old kessils give off. Kinda makes some lps (such as acan lords) look garbage. Unlike the A360X, they are missing some key color diodes. If they're not X, they're meh. But hey, if you're happy with that light, go figure.

On the other hand, have you received the light yet? Hopefully it is not a scam...

haha... Must have misspoke, meant to say Ai Prime Hd+, took him a week to send it, but it has been received. It is louder than I'd like, but the functionality is great! Love being able to fully customize all the colors, the timed rampup/down in additional to lunar lights AND programing periodic storm modes... It's pretty nifty!

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that makes more sense. And even more garbage spectrum lol.

However, if you're just having lps, softies, or low end sps, these are phenomenal lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that makes more sense. And even more garbage spectrum lol.

However, if you're just having lps, softies, or low end sps, these are phenomenal lights.
No Corlas, just enough to keep two bta nems happy:)

Earl Karl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ok, then those lights are more than sufficient. Although, a bit overkill though for just two nems... Your intensity is probably not even 25% lol. If higher than that, you're pretty much burning your nems.

I would have gone with some controllable pico light like zetlight or something similar. Or even that reefbar pro I mentioned. WAY more cheaper than that option, especially if bought used.

But if you decide to upgrade your tank, you got the lights you can count on.

MrKlumZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Now that it has been 2 years. I would love to know Kessel A180 vs the A.I. prime.

Just know, the more built in features a light has the more problems occurs overtime. Especially when it’s a set to forget type of thing like a “lighting schedule”. Just wanna know how the WiFi is holding up after 2 years for the A.I. prime.

I’m About to return a defective A.I. Prime 16 HD with connection problem out of box. Also, the 2
Lights I purchased are different in coloration as well under one control.

Left light has bluish hue while the right has purplish hue

11CCEFB3-6D4A-400B-9DA7-E77B6AB8E61F.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back