Which light?! Kessil or Hd Prime!?

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the million dollar question. I've been going back and forth the last week and can't seem to settle on my lighting choice. My build will be a 12x12x12 nano cube or thereabouts, my budget is $230 and under for the lights, meanwhile the only two contenders are Kessil and Hd Prime +... However, my preference has always been towards silent equipment which I hear Kessil has an edge over AI Prime, however the light must be able to grow Buble Tip Nems, as that will be the focal point of the cube. If Kessil, then which model will be enough for my needs? Will the A80 be enough light energy for a BTA?!

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partial to the Prime since that is the only one I use. The A80 is only a 15 watt light so I would shy away from that and your BTA. Go with the A160 or the Prime. You will be pleased you did. Don’t skimp on lighting since that is one of your most important life support, plus coloration on corals will look so much better, in my opinion.

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partial to the AI Prime and love the control capability. If you do go with Kessil, there is a difference between the A160 Tuna Sun and the A160 Tuna Blue; apparently the Blue is for the Saltwater tank and the Sun is for refugium, mangroves and planted tanks. Most online stores selling show that difference but just wanted to point it out. The A160 is a bit bigger in profile than the AI Prime. I have two AI Prime HD's over my 45 frag and really like them.

OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who have the Prime or the Kessil 160, can you comment on the noise levels? And also, I know the A80 isn't the strongest, but then again it's only a 4 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon sump, has anyone had success keeping a BTA with a A80?

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That being said, I would go with the Prime given the choice between the two.

I have seen both and the coloration, to me, is hands down better.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A80 is probably underpowered, even for a 12" cube; A160 is a better choice. It is essentially silent. Tuna Blue is the right choice for most marine applications; tuna sun more FW.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who have the Prime or the Kessil 160, can you comment on the noise levels? And also, I know the A80 isn't the strongest, but then again it's only a 4 gallon tank, with a 20 gallon sump, has anyone had success keeping a BTA with a A80?
I have 5 a160's on my tank and they don't make a noticeable noise. The 80 would probably be fine but the 160 will leave no doubt. Plus if you go a bit bigger in the future you won't need to get another light if you get the 160.

OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 a160's on my tank and they don't make a noticeable noise. The 80 would probably be fine but the 160 will leave no doubt. Plus if you go a bit bigger in the future you won't need to get another light if you get the 160.

Reason I'd like to be able to get away with the A80 is because of it's slim profile as I'm trying to build a very minimalist nano, what % would you give of being able to get away with a A80 in a 12x12x12, tank?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, as example. I ran an A80 over a 20 nano. Even directly under the light my mini maxi anemones were shrinking. Replaced it with the A160 and they are recovering.

OP
OP
6TankReefer9

6TankReefer9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, as example. I ran an A80 over a 20 nano. Even directly under the light my mini maxi anemones were shrinking. Replaced it with the A160 and they are recovering.
Interesting. How many inches above would you say you had it and at what intensity? I'm just getting mixed reviews, others say they kept BTA's with the A80 in a small nano with no issues.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the AI. Despite me owning a lot of kessils, they are quite expensive for what they do and lack a lot of features and controllability. I would not use the 80, at least the 160. I ran a 160 on my pico reef, 10” cube, 100% power with the light sitting directly on the lid and it worked quite well and grew a clam, but I don’t think the 80 has enough power. I like kessils for specific purposes, but aside from the new X series, the model line is quite old and lacks a lot of nice features like being able to provide moonlights or be controlled without a controller.

Mpierce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having both the Prime HD on my nano and 3 kessil a160 on my 80, I lean toward the kessil. Yes the prime has a lot of control features but you can't beat the look of a kessil in the water. The prime has noticeable color banding "disco" effect. I am probably more sensitive to the disco since I see both lights daily. For the price though, the prime HD is hard to beat. I'd keep an eye on the for sale section here, especially with the 360x coming out I'd bet you will be able to find a good deal on the kessil lights and controller.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back