Which overflow would you choose?

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the ModularMarine. Hands down the customer service and constant communication along with great review sis what won me over. Did calculations with everything for my two returns and the 2400gph model was more than enough flow. I plan to adjust the pipes if I need more but that’s easy to do. I will have it in my hands December 28th, Thursday! Stoked to get this, and I’ll be drilling it this weekend. Both returns will be drilled also. I’ll have to change my 120 build three to my 180 now! Thanks everyone, I’m stoked for it to get going!!

Looking into overflow boxes myself and was wondering how you like the modular marine?? I’m torn between reef synergy ghost overflow and modular marine.

I’ve read good reviews about both hence why I’m torn! I have a 40breeder so the 16” SR overflow might be a little to long for me as it might affect where my lights are mounted. Just wanted your thoughts on actual build quality and fuctionality

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Synergy Shadow. I run about 450-500ghp (Neptune Flowmeter reading), and it's silent. In this video, you can see I have a lot of flow. I have the emergency pipe removed to show how loud that much flow is. I then put it in and within a few seconds when it works out any bubbles, you can see the difference in sound. All that said....flow rate is VERY overrated. You could run 50gph through the average sump and not even be able to test any difference in water coming in vs leaving it to the tank. People love to say how much flow you need...but nobody can explain why.

JasonAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the CA H2Overflows, so I can comment on them.

Neat design. Take up very little space in the tank. Fairly easy to implement... Those are the reasons I went that route, along with some specific implementation challenges that I have because of the design of my system, which is a bit odd.

A few comments after using them for ~6 months... They're easy to clean. With the 'right' plumbing, they can be virtually silent. No issues with snails clogging them up, etc. Seem durable enough... I haven't had any unexpected issues.

My system, as I said, is a bit odd. Peninsula system, so all the overflows and returns are in one end. H2Overflows gave me a fairly large amount of surface skimming area, without taking up much space. It was a good fit. Also, the plumbing runs through a wall, so a very custom outside overflow box was a necessity for me. I had a local guy build a black acrylic box, attached it to the H2Overflows with bulkheads on both ends and a bit of straight pipe to get through the wall, and then drilled a 'BeAnAnimal' style overflow from the box to my sump. Virtually silent.

Note: I also bought the Siphon Stopper returns, from the same company. I do not recommend them. I had to alter mine to 'fix' them... I think they were designed primarily around a freshwater aquarium. They inject small bubbles into the water surface from the siphon vents, above the water. Bad thing, in a marine tank. Leads to mucho salt creep. I had to remove the siphon vent guides, silicon over the vents, and re-drill a siphon vent below water level. A bit of regular PVC would have worked just as well, and saved me a bunch of money.

TestFitOverflow.jpg
I'm curious how you made the H2Overflow silent? I think yours goes into a box but mine goes into tubing and runs down into their sock. I put the stopper in on top but its still loud running down the tubing. Maybe pvc pipe would be better.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of overflows are connected to an acrylic box, level with the tank, and attached to the overflows with straight through PVC, bulkhead to bulkhead. I'm passing through a wall, so there's a 5" space there. I think the pipe is 2.5". Anyway, into the overflow box, and the normal water level is ABOVE the pass through piping, so it's not gurgling, or passing air, etc. Overflow has BeAnAnimal style piping dropping to the sump, so, once again, smooth flow, no air. That's really the key to a silent overflow... no air.

Those 'silencers' that the H2Overflows come with? Simply a rubber restrictor. Useless, IMHO. I threw mine away. It's all about keeping out the air.

Best of luck :D

I'm curious how you made the H2Overflow silent? I think yours goes into a box but mine goes into tubing and runs down into their sock. I put the stopper in on top but its still loud running down the tubing. Maybe pvc pipe would be better.

JasonAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of overflows are connected to an acrylic box, level with the tank, and attached to the overflows with straight through PVC, bulkhead to bulkhead. I'm passing through a wall, so there's a 5" space there. I think the pipe is 2.5". Anyway, into the overflow box, and the normal water level is ABOVE the pass through piping, so it's not gurgling, or passing air, etc. Overflow has BeAnAnimal style piping dropping to the sump, so, once again, smooth flow, no air. That's really the key to a silent overflow... no air.

Those 'silencers' that the H2Overflows come with? Simply a rubber restrictor. Useless, IMHO. I threw mine away. It's all about keeping out the air.

Best of luck :D
Thanks. The rubber restrictors are only good at mildly stopping the air from entering the tube/pipe. My issue is that I have a single, no box, just a straight tube that runs directly from the overflow to my sock located under the tank. I am getting way too much running water sound so I have to play around with the ball valve to slow things down or maybe wrap that tubing. I was going to hard live it with pvc but not sure that would cut down on the noise. That tubing is hard to bend so I ended up having 2 additional feet compared to pvc that can go direct so maybe thats not helping either.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The rubber restrictors are only good at mildly stopping the air from entering the tube/pipe. My issue is that I have a single, no box, just a straight tube that runs directly from the overflow to my sock located under the tank. I am getting way too much running water sound so I have to play around with the ball valve to slow things down or maybe wrap that tubing. I was going to hard live it with pvc but not sure that would cut down on the noise. That tubing is hard to bend so I ended up having 2 additional feet compared to pvc that can go direct so maybe thats not helping either.

I’ve got the H2Overflow on my 75 and have zero complaints. The key to making it silent is a gate valve. Small adjustments until the gurgling goes away (full siphon). You must have an emergency overflow, though. Over time I think algae or detritus builds up and restricts flow. I flush the gate valve every now and then (especially if I see the waterline has reached my emergency overflow). Here’s a video I made back when building my setup:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been checking out modular marine because they offer what I’m looking for flow characteristic wise with maximum surface skimming. Thank you for the reply, and it’s good info also. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I will this weekend.
Modular marine all the way I have one on my 300 had it custom built 4 foot long with a 3 foot external box I love it I would not replace it for anything else

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back