Which overflow would you choose?

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m trying to decide what overflow to get for my new 180g. I will be drilling the tank of course. I have three choices I’m considering.

Custom aquariums h2overflow

Synergy shadow overflow

Modular marine with no tooth weir and beveled for silent water flow.

What would you all choose?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the CA H2Overflows, so I can comment on them.

Neat design. Take up very little space in the tank. Fairly easy to implement... Those are the reasons I went that route, along with some specific implementation challenges that I have because of the design of my system, which is a bit odd.

A few comments after using them for ~6 months... They're easy to clean. With the 'right' plumbing, they can be virtually silent. No issues with snails clogging them up, etc. Seem durable enough... I haven't had any unexpected issues.

My system, as I said, is a bit odd. Peninsula system, so all the overflows and returns are in one end. H2Overflows gave me a fairly large amount of surface skimming area, without taking up much space. It was a good fit. Also, the plumbing runs through a wall, so a very custom outside overflow box was a necessity for me. I had a local guy build a black acrylic box, attached it to the H2Overflows with bulkheads on both ends and a bit of straight pipe to get through the wall, and then drilled a 'BeAnAnimal' style overflow from the box to my sump. Virtually silent.

Note: I also bought the Siphon Stopper returns, from the same company. I do not recommend them. I had to alter mine to 'fix' them... I think they were designed primarily around a freshwater aquarium. They inject small bubbles into the water surface from the siphon vents, above the water. Bad thing, in a marine tank. Leads to mucho salt creep. I had to remove the siphon vent guides, silicon over the vents, and re-drill a siphon vent below water level. A bit of regular PVC would have worked just as well, and saved me a bunch of money.

TestFitOverflow.jpg

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps Overflow Box is another option... only overflow I've had, so I can't compare it to the others. Heard good things about the modular marine though, and that's what I'll be going with if I get a chance to build my frag tank.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the insight guys. Unfortunately Coastie Reefer, I’m planning triton method with a modification so the eshopps doesn’t meet my flow criteria.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the CA H2Overflows, so I can comment on them.

Neat design. Take up very little space in the tank. Fairly easy to implement... Those are the reasons I went that route, along with some specific implementation challenges that I have because of the design of my system, which is a bit odd.

A few comments after using them for ~6 months... They're easy to clean. With the 'right' plumbing, they can be virtually silent. No issues with snails clogging them up, etc. Seem durable enough... I haven't had any unexpected issues.

My system, as I said, is a bit odd. Peninsula system, so all the overflows and returns are in one end. H2Overflows gave me a fairly large amount of surface skimming area, without taking up much space. It was a good fit. Also, the plumbing runs through a wall, so a very custom outside overflow box was a necessity for me. I had a local guy build a black acrylic box, attached it to the H2Overflows with bulkheads on both ends and a bit of straight pipe to get through the wall, and then drilled a 'BeAnAnimal' style overflow from the box to my sump. Virtually silent.

Note: I also bought the Siphon Stopper returns, from the same company. I do not recommend them. I had to alter mine to 'fix' them... I think they were designed primarily around a freshwater aquarium. They inject small bubbles into the water surface from the siphon vents, above the water. Bad thing, in a marine tank. Leads to mucho salt creep. I had to remove the siphon vent guides, silicon over the vents, and re-drill a siphon vent below water level. A bit of regular PVC would have worked just as well, and saved me a bunch of money.

TestFitOverflow.jpg

Thank you for the insight! Probably the best bit Of info I’ve gotten about these so far. They claim a single overflow can give 14.5 inches of surface skimming, which with two would put me at 35 inches skimming from two locations. They offer their own stealth box to use but the footprint in the tank is where my concern lies. The siphon stopper advice is sound though, I plan to drill for 1” returns on each corner. Looking like Modular Marine will win this one for me, plus their customer service has been outstanding.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eshopps Overflow Box is another option... only overflow I've had, so I can't compare it to the others. Heard good things about the modular marine though, and that's what I'll be going with if I get a chance to build my frag tank.
I was just going to suggest this, but the Large is rated for only up to 150 gallon tanks..I suppose you could still get away with it on a 180.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to suggest this, but the Large is rated for only up to 150 gallon tanks..I suppose you could still get away with it on a 180.

Triton requires at least a 10x turnover rate which unfortunately doesn’t work with the eshopps is why. The DT will have approx. 160g while the sump will have 40g so something closer to the 2000gph range. But I do not want to max out the overflow, so i would need to run two of them, which at that point might as well spend the money for the modular marine. I’ve been reading and researching overflows like crazy haha.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They claim a single overflow can give 14.5 inches of surface skimming, which with two would put me at 35 inches
That's the distance around the outside of the overflows. The top is open, and screened, as well, so if the outside edges get coated in algae or whatever, water rises over the top edge of the boxes, and flows away as normal.

They offer their own stealth box to use but the footprint in the tank is where my concern lies.
I looked at their outside box. No replaceable bulkheads... it's got what amounts to short PVC pipe sections sticking out all over the bottom, you drill out the center of the ones you want to use. You'd have to GLUE pipe onto it... I like having a bulkhead I can unscrew when it comes time to clean. That's why I went with my custom box.

I'm (more or less) Triton system myself... and I took that 10x flow through the sump to heart. 144g tank, 40g (actual) sump, 1900gph return pump, running wide open, with very little head pressure. The two H2Overflows aren't even stressed. In fact, they come with a set of flow restrictors to help quiet them down, and I'm using the mid sized one. Wide open, mine will suck some air.

My plumbing, in the sump closet, shortly after I got things glued together. You can see the back end of the tank, behind the acrylic box. That's the back of the H2 Overflow. They came with black 90 degree elbow hose barbs, which I didn't use.

Sump1.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on any of the others but I have the v2 'Shadow' that was made with all glued acrylic panels. Love it. The new Shadow is a far better package - no need for 3 bulkheads in the outer box, 1.5" drains, U tubes included instead of having to make them yourself, etc. Dead silent.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the distance around the outside of the overflows. The top is open, and screened, as well, so if the outside edges get coated in algae or whatever, water rises over the top edge of the boxes, and flows away as normal.

I looked at their outside box. No replaceable bulkheads... it's got what amounts to short PVC pipe sections sticking out all over the bottom, you drill out the center of the ones you want to use. You'd have to GLUE pipe onto it... I like having a bulkhead I can unscrew when it comes time to clean. That's why I went with my custom box.

I'm (more or less) Triton system myself... and I took that 10x flow through the sump to heart. 144g tank, 40g (actual) sump, 1900gph return pump, running wide open, with very little head pressure. The two H2Overflows aren't even stressed. In fact, they come with a set of flow restrictors to help quiet them down, and I'm using the mid sized one. Wide open, mine will suck some air.

My plumbing, in the sump closet, shortly after I got things glued together. You can see the back end of the tank, behind the acrylic box. That's the back of the H2 Overflow. They came with black 90 degree elbow hose barbs, which I didn't use.

Sump1.jpg

That’s a clean setup! Mine will be all under the stand. The modular marine uses bulkheads for there box, so that’s where I’m going. $312 shipped for what I requested from them. Worth it in my opinion to not worry about having a problem and more than reaching my flow needs. 2700gph reef octo varioS8, 1” returns with 1.5” drains. That’s my plan at least and what I’ve planned for.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't comment on any of the others but I have the v2 'Shadow' that was made with all glued acrylic panels. Love it. The new Shadow is a far better package - no need for 3 bulkheads in the outer box, 1.5" drains, U tubes included instead of having to make them yourself, etc. Dead silent.

I’ve been checking out modular marine because they offer what I’m looking for flow characteristic wise with maximum surface skimming. Thank you for the reply, and it’s good info also. Haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I will this weekend.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, and like before they do custom work and have provided me with every ounce of information I requested. Even answered a long list of questions.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased it this past spring, so I’ve had it for quite a time. However I only just installed it this past week. :D I’ve been taking my time on this new build and quite frankly, I was a bit apprehensive about drilling 4 holes into 1/2” glass (2 for the returns). It wasn’t nearly as bad as I had thought.

My tank is only 57 gallons, 36x18x20, so I got the 12” model with the removable weir box and included lids, upgraded to 1” bulkheads from the standard 3/4” uniseals. With the upgraded 1” bulkheads in the 12” external box, there isn’t much room for plumbing back there, but I made it work.

Originally, I bought the Synergy Reef Shadow overflow. However at 16” it was too wide to accommodate my Kessil AP700 mounting arms so I ended up selling it. Having had both overflows in my hands, I must say I actually prefer the sturdy acrylic construction of the Modular Marine over the flexible feeling injection molded Synergy Reef.

Last edited:

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Synergy Shadow V2, awesome! dead quiet, if it makes any sound at all, I know something is off.
Easy to remove and clean weir.

OP
OP
ReefNoobie88

ReefNoobie88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the ModularMarine. Hands down the customer service and constant communication along with great review sis what won me over. Did calculations with everything for my two returns and the 2400gph model was more than enough flow. I plan to adjust the pipes if I need more but that’s easy to do. I will have it in my hands December 28th, Thursday! Stoked to get this, and I’ll be drilling it this weekend. Both returns will be drilled also. I’ll have to change my 120 build three to my 180 now! Thanks everyone, I’m stoked for it to get going!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back