Which powerheads are the best in 2018

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for new powerheads for my 40 gallon breeder which is gonna be turning into a sps dominant tank. The powerheads I have now are kinda noisy so I'm trying to find the quietest ones on the market. I read reviews on all the new powerheads but they all have some bad reviews so I'm asking the reef2reef community for help,
Thank you
Fugetown

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at the MP10 or Tunze Turbelle for a 40 breeder.

Agreed. Note that some Tunze are just on/off and others have built in controllers for wavemaking function. Also, some Ecotech pumps don’t have wireless chips.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also look at the Sicce Xtreme models. They also make a DC model that encompasses the ranges of all of the AC pumps, but is more expensive.

I have a few of the AC pumps and they're dead silent, move a LOT of water, and are the smallest powerheads I've ever owned.

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for more opinions. I'm looking into new powerheads myself right now. Since my urchin chewed on the wiring of one of mine :eek: [note to self, don't forget to put the urchin protector on the new ones].

I have two CoralBox QP-5s. They're good pump, move a lot of water, are controllable BUT are hard to clean. So I'm considering switching.

OP
OP
FugeTown

FugeTown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre, that’s what I have running on my cvue 40 which has the same dimensions as a 40B and I love it
I’ve had my eye on that one but have been scared by some of the bad reviews. I know a local reefer that uses one too and works for him really good, I’m definitely keeping that option in mind plus I like the size of it compared to a bunch of powerheads.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ecotechs and Gyres are hard to beat

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best imo would be 2 MP10QDW. If you need low cost and performance 2 Jebao PP-4 would do well for all corals in a 40B. My PP-8s are really powerful espeically for the size.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech make excellent pumps, but they are hardly the 'quietest on the market'. If you really want quiet, if look at tunze.

WetPets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the ecotech pumps the best. Depending on how you had it set up you could do 1 or 2 pumps. The mp40 is also a good option if you plan on going to a bigger tank eventually.

If you need a less expensive option reefbreeders makes a nice pump. It is a good middle of the road option and they are dc.

I also like the hydor gen 3 pumps for a cheap powerhead.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back