Which powerheads are the best in 2018

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I'll ever use anything but Vortechs because they are so ridiculously easy to clean. Keep a spare wet side or two and you just swap them out, then vinegar bath for 24 hours and the thing is ready to go for the next time.

Not only the above, but you can DIY replace bearings for about $10 via Ebay. Quick and easy for noise.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody try the aquami KPS yet? I just ordered one with my marine depot points and only paid out of pocket 30.00. I guess for that price I can loose and after reading using an apple device fixes connectivity issues. I would like feedback though

@Waynerock - How about the Reef Octo Pulse 2 Wave Pump (1600 GPH). I have read good reviews on these powerheads but I wonder how well they hold up on a tank that's 12mm thick glass?
Anyone reefers out there have tried these??
I know for a fact that there reef
octo varios pumps and controllers are awesome since I own two of them.
I run the Varios4 on my 50 GALLON saltwater mixing station and a Various2 on my Reef Octo 150 EXT Protein Skimmer.

OCTOPULSE-2 1600gph.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-04 at 7.50.05 AM.png

lancesmith1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an Octo Pulse 2 and highly recommend them. I have had it running for about 6 to 7 months and just cleaned it recently. The only reason I cleaned it was because I downsized tanks. It was still churning away when I took it out. I can't hear it run at all. I also had 2 MP10s on the tank at the same time. I will not buy another MP. They were constantly falling off and in need of cleaning. I am 100% sold on the Octo. FWIW... I also have not had good luck with the last couple of Tunze PH's. The 6020 pumps are complete garbage.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not like Gyre - too static of flow... some of my colonies started to "lean" as they grew. Gyre does move a lot of water, but it is not the right kind of flow for me. I typically use Tunze stuff - decades of use. I recommend them very much. I also like AquaMedic EcoDrift if Tunze are too pricey - they move a LOT of water and are quiet and so far OK in 3 years of use. EcoDrift are nicely priced between Tunze and the Cheap Chineese Knockoffs but also have USA Support and Warranty out of Colorado.

FWIW - I will not use any Jeabo stuff. I do not support patent/IP stealing companies no matter how cheap their products end up being.
Why not run two opposing like the BRS 160 does? Any single pump will cause directional flow...

Reefing-Around

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @ReeferReefer above. The possible flow patterns are more than you would ever need and controlable with my apex. I have a Maxspect 1k on a 20 gallon clown tank and works fine at 10-50 random.. I have 2x 3k's on a 60 gallon as well, along with a single mp40 pushing from the rear.. You can dial them back to suit your needs or open them up. On the bandwagon for both gyres and mp's..... MP's are super easy to clean..

FishDoc

Fish Obsessed.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how you have your return line setup, you may be able to get away without power heads. We have at least one customer that did just that - check out that flow.

Single point of failure for something as important as flow? No thanks. As for power heads, I agree with many about the MP-10, quite unless it’s ramped to 100% in a quite room. How about the new Nero pumps from AI, or the Neptune wave makers if you have an apex.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kps to mp10 wet side comparison. There is a new kpm out but I can’t give an opinion on it. As for the kps I have been running it since December 2017 and have never had connection issues. I did read about the issues even a year ago so I was a little worried but turns out with some updates the issues were resolved before I even started using mine. As far as noise it’s silent. I hear the slight noise of the sicce pump or a fan from lights much easier. I’m pretty sure my ear has to be a few inches off the pump to hear. The main drawbacks in my opinion are the cord in the tank and the fragile front of the pump. I watched the video of the guy from big als mention he broke one part and sure enough I did the same thing trying to take it apart. Probably my fault for putting pressure on the front but just a heads up.

0F6B1BBD-A5BB-403F-8DD3-AA063BB7DDA0.jpeg
5EA7C11A-AC49-4E18-8B3B-4DA0CA519204.jpeg
52A21C81-A86C-4E49-8DF5-76796C04CD80.jpeg
BEBF1BC8-BDCA-41DB-B143-968701046F13.jpeg

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the new Nero pumps from AI, or the Neptune wave makers if you have an apex.

Ive been hoping AI would give some info on a smaller Nero as the 5 is closer to the mp40 range as far as gph. There was mention by one of their reps on a future release of a smaller size but who knows. Over my days of not studying and searching the web for pumps I also looked at the coral box reverse nano pump which I found very interesting due to the supposed plume like flow.

devin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do gyre 230’s. There is a break in period before they quite down. But before I did that I would split the return with a loc line y and do the vca nozzles.

JoeyBagadonuts

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the less expensive route with Jebao’s and got some good use out of them. Eventually they fail and you can pick a new one up pretty cheap. Then I decided to pick up an Ecotech MP40. Absolutely love it. No cord or added heat in the tank. Plenty of different programs for flow. I just ordered a second one for my 75. This will be plenty of flow and I can run them at a low %. As far as a 40 gallon goes, I would try to do 2 MP10’s or 1 MP40. The latter if you plan on upgrading to a bigger size in the future.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6040 if you want to hide them and controllable, Tunze 6055 if you want a bit more flow and controllable or Tunze 6045 for good flow but no wave making ability.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After half a dozen Jebao died on me over the last 18 months I decided to go for a Tunze Stream 3 as it has a 5 year warranty. Might be a little to powerful for a 40g though.
f4c8a5b49322ffe27b0aede4a797a69c.jpg

And only costs $50 more than an MP10 with 2.5x the flow...

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my eye on that one but have been scared by some of the bad reviews. I know a local reefer that uses one too and works for him really good, I’m definitely keeping that option in mind plus I like the size of it compared to a bunch of powerheads.
I have a gyre on a 40 breeder and love it. They can get noisy for a day or two but they usually settle back down. I had one that would not stay quiet and coral vue replaced it with no question asked. Nothing else will give you better flow.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
coming in late on this but ecotech mp10, mp40's are the best in my opinion, i have 4 mp40's in my 300 and they are silent and no wires in the tank....sold

Paul Xu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use rossmont, he is very quiet, the waves are great, and the setup is simple!

Back