Which return pump to use

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180gal with 60gal sump. I am wanting to change my return pump. There is not enough flow. Money is not a problem. I want to get a top of the line pump. I have internal right now but can change to external if need to. What does everyone suggest. Going with DC internal or go with something like a hammerhead gold pump. I can not decide so help me. I am wanting this tank to be SPS only.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've very fond of the Sicce Syncra pumps. However I think my next pump is going to be the Ecotech Vectra DC pumps. I really like the idea of being able to control the pump speed and mode. If I were to recommend one i'd say the Vectra M1 or L1 depended on how much flow you want :)

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the Neptune cor 20 for my 150 gal with 40 gal sump. I run it at 75% which gives me around 800gph, at full speed I get about 950gph. Although I have mine going through a manifold feeding a uv, and a carbon/gfo reactor, estimate about 9 ft of head pressure. Am actually considering adding a second Cor 20 or 15, going straight to the display. Seems to be that might be the route if your aiming for a 10x turn over rate for the triton. My 2 cents.

Cesar Romero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say though, super please with the pump so far though, superbly quite.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were my tank and reliability and flow were the chief concern I’d opt for a fluval sp6. I have zero experience with external pumps so I can’t advise there. I’m sure a more powerful and reliable external exists I just don’t know anything about them. Controllability of a dc return pump, while not pointless, doesn’t seem worth having more pieces of the puzzle to go wrong.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SP6 and it is a great pump.. if I wanted to buy (and do) probably my last and the most durable pump out there, Abyzz sized appropriately. They have a 10 year warranty, meaning it'll probably last 25 years... They are silent, controllable, and are energy efficient.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think he would have to go to the 150 watt to get the 2500 gph unless he has very little head pressure on his system.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m not mistaken the 150w is rated at 5000 gph at 100%. I use one on my 320g and it’s properly sized for that tank.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to run everything. Reactors/tank with 2 returns etc.

Then the 150w is the one! I have had the SP 6, it’s good but not as powerful or controllable, I’ve also had a Vectra L1..... it was an ok pump performance wise but not directly controllable or able to integrate with my computer, the Link is just a gimmick because it’s off line (WiFi) all the time so you do not know what the pump is doing at any time since it reverts to the setting on the local controller, also, because it’s not controlled by the system controller the Feed Pause mode is not initiated automatically! Having to do this manually is not practical nor convenient and quickly becomes extremely irritating.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ I would not get an DC adjustable pump then, every time you change the speed of the pump you have to re adjust your reactors. I know of two people who have sold their Fluval SP 6 because it was too much flow. So maybe a Fluval SP4 or add a Fluval SP2 for the reactors and a partial return.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^ I would not get an DC adjustable pump then, every time you change the speed of the pump you have to re adjust your reactors. I know of two people who have sold their Fluval SP 6 because it was too much flow. So maybe a Fluval SP4 or add a Fluval SP2 for the reactors and a partial return.
For to much flow could I not add a valve to control that.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a valve, but t could cause cavitation noise. I strongly prefer DC pumps. I’ll never run another AC motor again if I can help it. No more awful 60Hz AC hum/vibration. Having controllability is a plus. Also the newest ones allow some diagnostics to happen at the controller.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is not completely correct, I have flow sensors on both my reactor manifold feed and the tank return piping, when the pump is slowed down for feeding the flow to the reactors is reduced slightly (but not stopped) because it is at the same level of the pump as opposed to the return flow which is completely stopped due to the height of the piping.
A controllable DC pump is always better as you can have it run at one speed constantly if desired or varied if required, however it must be noted that normally a DC pump is run at one speed 90% of the time having its speed only changed for feeding (and or thunder storms if your system does that [emoji41], an this is still an option!). If you get an AC constant flow pump you would still have to completely kill it during feeding to prevent flow going down your overflow which would stop all flow to your reactors! This is worse than having a reduced flow for a short period of time!

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have valves on both my return and reactor feeds for fine tuning the flows and there is no noise sir!

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e3316a5098d32df5c17ebde4ccc4ed99.jpg

150w RD3 with split discharge for manifold and return.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never have though about slowing the flow instead of stopping the flow to feed. Good point on that. I do turn my off and sometimes just to look over top. I like the view over top.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back