a653a554eddff457d2fd7cbe15e720ed.jpg

d8aaab0a38a89542f029931a5a1e48a5.jpg

Flow sensor and valve on return piping.

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Royal exclusive rd3 80w or the new 100w. Hands down the best pumps bullet proof excellent customer service and uses titanium screws and shaft. I've had mine for 4 years minimal cleaning and general reefer neglect and is still silent and has the same power as new!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your needs.

Danner makes a pond pump. Very straight forward; plumb it, plug in in and watch it work.

I have been in the hobby 10 years and I still have the first one I purchased (Mag 5, rated at 500 gph at 36 inch head) working in one of my setups. In 10 years, I've replaced the impeller once.

Not the quietest pump in the world, but nothing more than a hum. I've never owned a more reliable pump.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your needs.

Danner makes a pond pump. Very straight forward; plumb it, plug in in and watch it work.

I have been in the hobby 10 years and I still have the first one I purchased (Mag 5, rated at 500 gph at 36 inch head) working in one of my setups. In 10 years, I've replaced the impeller once.

Not the quietest pump in the world, but nothing more than a hum. I've never owned a more reliable pump.
I am using mag 12 right now. I have been using this pump for 5 years. Good pump no problems. I just need more flow. I do not like a bunch of powerheads.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using mag 12 right now. I have been using this pump for 5 years. Good pump no problems. I just need more flow. I do not like a bunch of powerheads.

I wanted more flow in the 33 Long build I just completed. Like you, I didn't want power heads as I find them ugly and take up room I don't want to give up.

I purchased a pair of AquaClear 70's and installed one on each end of the tank. The only thing you can see it the uptake tube which hangs vertical and discretely into the tank.

They add A LOT of flow at a fraction of the cost of a quality power head (I paid $54 each), AND, if the need should arise to run activated carbon or anything else, it offers a convenient place to add the bag.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first question would be how big is your return lines... ?

And yes the easiest way to get Max flow would be to go DC .. and Dial it in to your system ...

AC pump would have to go a bit under sized ... For the safety .. of not over flowing the MDT

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yes the easiest way to get Max flow would be to go DC .. and Dial it in to your system ...

AC pump would have to go a bit under sized ... For the safety .. of not over flowing the MDT

Mine are 1.25” which is the same size as the Pump’s discharge nozzle.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I will make the return at least 1'' if not 1.25"

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to run reactors, chiller, skimmer and tank all on one pump. I would use valves to adjust flow.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will make the return at least 1'' if not 1.25"
The tank is not drilled yet ?
I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head ... You Google it ...
I run 2 -one inch return lines ... By the numbers in the book I should be able to flow 1200 gph ....
In the real world I'm almost maxed out... running 500 gph

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is not drilled yet ?
I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head ... You Google it ...
I run 2 -one inch return lines ... By the numbers in the book I should be able to flow 1200 gph ....
In the real world I'm almost maxed out... running 500 gph
it is drilled for 2- 1' return lines. I thinking of running 1.25" pipe to the bulkhead then neck down to 1".

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is drilled for 2- 1' return lines. I thinking of running 1.25" pipe to the bulkhead then neck down to 1".
Like I said I'm running 2-1" return lines . My is rated at 900 real world I'm getting just about 500 ... I would say 6 or 700 would max them out..

I would go 2 if not 3 times what the charts say ... I wish I went bigger [emoji852]️
GPHpipe.jpeg

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best is abyzz, but it's also very expensive. If you don't have a lot of head loss/pressure, then there are plenty of other great options. If you don't mind noise, then there are even more options. Most of the big gph external pumps are a little on the noisy side, especially if the pump isn't in the basement. The ro varios pumps are nice, sicce pumps are good, red dragon are top of the line, iwaki are great and dependable but a little loud. There's lots of options, just depends on what exactly you are looking for.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back