OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best is abyzz, but it's also very expensive. If you don't have a lot of head loss/pressure, then there are plenty of other great options. If you don't mind noise, then there are even more options. Most of the big gph external pumps are a little on the noisy side, especially if the pump isn't in the basement. The ro varios pumps are nice, sicce pumps are good, red dragon are top of the line, iwaki are great and dependable but a little loud. There's lots of options, just depends on what exactly you are looking for.
The main thing is I want more return flow in tank. I would like to supply everything off one pump. I am leaning towards a hammerhead 4300gph. That would supply protein skimmer, reactors, chiller, 2nd tank like frag tank and of course main tank.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing is I want more return flow in tank. I would like to supply everything off one pump. I am leaning towards a hammerhead 4300gph. That would supply protein skimmer, reactors, chiller, 2nd tank like frag tank and of course main tank.

I've heard mixed reviews on those long term, but it should be plenty powerful. If you're looking to get that high of gph truly, under any head pressure at all, then an external big dog pump such as the hammerhead, iwaki, or panworld are probably your only option aside from the abyzz a400, which costs 5x as much. Those external pumps will definitely push some water, only issue really is noise. If that's not an issue, I would go with one of those as well.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed reviews on those long term, but it should be plenty powerful. If you're looking to get that high of gph truly, under any head pressure at all, then an external big dog pump such as the hammerhead, iwaki, or panworld are probably your only option aside from the abyzz a400, which costs 5x as much. Those external pumps will definitely push some water, only issue really is noise. If that's not an issue, I would go with one of those as well.
Noise would be an issue since it is inside my house. I had a Iwaki before and it was not loud at all.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 .. 1-1/2 ?
You will be lucky to drain 2000 .. maybe 2500 gph ... On a good day ...
Even with head loss 4300gph pump is going to be way over kill

Protein skimmer should have a built-in pump...
Chiller should have an on demand pump ..

2000 tank flow
1000 for reactors

Chocking back ANY AC pump is what puts the most wear and tear on them

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 .. 1-1/2 ?

2000 tank flow
1000 for reactors

skimmer and chiller has on pumps. Wanting to get rid of them. 4 pumps in a sump. to much heat and takes up room.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noise would be an issue since it is inside my house. I had a Iwaki before and it was not loud at all.

Loudness is in the ear of the beholder I presume. Depending on what size iwaki you had before, if it didn't bother you noise wise, then you may be good to go. The smaller pumps without fans aren't too noisy to me, but the larger ones with fans drive me nuts. I went from a blueline 100, to an iwaki 70, to an abyzz a200 and the noise difference was substantial. I've never had a reeflo pump, but might be worth it to see what guys that have them have to say about the noise factor.

Other than that, I think they are decent pumps from what I've read. Some guys were having issues with the seal leaking on them, but I haven't done enough reading up on them to know if it's a chronic issue.

jjflounder1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If heat and noise are more a concern then money ... The Abyzz is your best option ..
DC will make less noise and heat when you Dial it back ...
Chocking back an AC pump will just make it louder AND run hotter ...

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RD3 150 supplies all my reactors including a 1/4HP chiller with room to spare! If you need more there is the 150w HP, 230w and 230w HP options! All overkill for what you need. Although people are trying to help, you will get a lot of suggestions here, some good and some not so good, take the time to do your own research!

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 .. 1-1/2 ?

2000 tank flow
1000 for reactors

A 1.5" pipe will flow way more than that in a full siphon.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RD3 150 supplies all my reactors including a 1/4HP chiller with room to spare! If you need more there is the 150w HP, 230w and 230w HP options! All overkill for what you need. Although people are trying to help, you will get a lot of suggestions here, some good and some not so good, take the time to do your own research!
I totally agree with you on all the suggestion. I like everyones input. I have been looking into each one that has been suggested. I will do my research before I decide. I have the money to buy what ever pump I choose but a mid level pump like the hammerhead etc. I could use the other money to buy something else. I am also tired of buying stuff and then have to buy more to up grade.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My drain pipe (overflow pipes) are 1.5 inch and I have 2 with a 3rd saftey pipe. So I think I have enough overflow to handle a large bit gph.

To take advantage of the safety of have a three pipe drain system I would never want to flow more than 80% of what your safety/emergency pipe can flow.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180821_154321744.jpg
IMG_20180821_153758492.jpg

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading the instructions it says you can put a valve in the line to reduce flow. It also says by reducing the flow requires less watts which is easier on the motor.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back