which skimmer would you pic?

which skimmer would you choose?

• Total voters

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am looking to upgrade my skimmer and not sure which way to go, so please post your opinions and why you would go that way...

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you have the money you can not beat bubble king or atb. The msx will perform rather well for the price.

Dave

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree i have a asm g-5 running my 500 gallons and it does great, im not saying it is as good as a orca, or bubble king but for 1/3 to1/2 of the price they work well

Last edited:

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a cone

i would g0o for the atb my kz blew my h&s and bubble king out of the water with skimmate

stinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Hydor 2000. Works very well for me, and I set it to skim out a full cup every 12 hrs!! However, I hope to upgrade to a Deltec in the near future.

Skimmers are rated based on the air intake x a factor used by the manufacturer. Since different manufacturer use different factor, thus, the rating does not mean much.

One way to judge the "power" of the skimmer is to look at the neck. The larger diameter the neck, the more powerful the skimmer. Straight neck is more powerful than tapered neck. Basically, more power / bubbles is necessery to push the foam head up a large and straight neck.

I've not seen most of the skimmers stated due to avaliability, but Deltec has the largest diameter neck compared with any skimmers avaliable locally in Malaysia (including Hydor).

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a cone

i would g0o for the atb my kz blew my h&s and bubble king out of the water with skimmate

I would not compare a mini bubbleking to a Supermarine or even a deluxe model. IMO

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait and check out the new Warner Marine skimmers with the built in bubble plate. They offer both Sedra and Eheim pumps. The new pix coming out look really good and these should rival many of those high end skimmers you mentioned. I am thinking about changing out my H&S dual 1260 to the new WM with dual 1262's.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wait and check out the new Warner Marine skimmers with the built in bubble plate. They offer both Sedra and Eheim pumps. The new pix coming out look really good and these should rival many of those high end skimmers you mentioned. I am thinking about changing out my H&S dual 1260 to the new WM with dual 1262's.

Any link to the info for these skimmers?

Dave

OP
OP
sdietz2469

sdietz2469

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah, i was reading about them, and i like the whole recirc in the deflection chamber, they are definately the first to come out with that, but when do they release them? and does anyone know the price/ rating/ size of the largest(dual 1262's)..... this will eventually be on a 500+gal system..... i am collecting things now to start my build.... i want all of the equipment, then i will buy the tank.... the equipment is the most expensive part of the deal, so i want to get that out of the way first......
shane

ct_vol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a cone

Which H&S do you have??? I didn't like my A150-2001, but I do like my A200-1260... I'm going to be upgrading soon, and was thinking about going with a cone skimmer...

Just curious out of the 13 people that voted for the BK skimmers how many of you guys actually have one??? They just seem to be the "vogue" skimmer right now... I know a few have had them, but I find it hard to believe the results thus far...

For the record I voted Deltec, because I love my APF600 and H&S wasn't on the list...

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted bubbleking. I don't own one personally, but I did tend a tank that had an internal 250. I was more than impressed. The thing is built like a tank, zero turbulence in the water column, and shaving cream foam. The pump was silent and pulled a tremendous amount of air. It broke down completely for cleaning. I have no experience with the cone skimmers, or any becketts.. but BK would be my choice over my use with the 701, 851, and 902 deltecs.. however, the deltecs nog did smell fouler.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet, in this order, would be an- ATB Large,BK SM250 (which is more comparable to the ATB Med), MSX300

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 89 41.8%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back