Which support configuration is better for a 20g stand?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2019
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,049
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am biding a 20g stand abd I am trying to figure out which way will be more stable for a stand. Should I have the vertical 2x4 be on top of the bottom or inside of the frame on the top and bottom?

20191227_145112.jpg 20191227_145108.jpg
 
Pic #1 is never the way to go on any stand. there is no wood supporting the weight Only the sheer factor of the screws used. And if they're standard drywall screws they dont take much to fail

#2 is the proper way as that allows the wood to support the weight. But you also need to make sure to skin it or cross brace it so it wont twist or move under the weight.
 
If you're using 2x4 I would suggest both actually. Have the inside for stability and then another 2x4 to support the top frame. So you'll have 2 vertical 2x4 at each corner.
This is the method I used when building the stands for my frag systems as well.
 
Pic #1 is never the way to go on any stand. there is no wood supporting the weight Only the sheer factor of the screws used. And if they're standard drywall screws they dont take much to fail

#2 is the proper way as that allows the wood to support the weight. But you also need to make sure to skin it or cross brace it so it wont twist or move under the weight.
I'm planning cross braces and metal corner plates for sure. Not chancing it. I'm thinking I wont need cross braces on the top and bottom. Just need them between the vertical braces
 
I'm planning cross braces and metal corner plates for sure. Not chancing it. I'm thinking I wont need cross braces on the top and bottom. Just need them between the vertical braces

Pic #2, with a plywood skin and plywood top would be laterally stable and plenty strong.

You could build the whole thing out of 3/4" veneered plywood with screws and glue and it would be plenty strong enough. I had a plywood only stand for a 75g and 120g that was just fine.
 
Pic #2, with a plywood skin and plywood top would be laterally stable and plenty strong.

You could build the whole thing out of 3/4" veneered plywood with screws and glue and it would be plenty strong enough. I had a plywood only stand for a 75g and 120g that was just fine.
I'm going to do cross braces and a removable plywood cover
 
Was just typing this @dutch27 . You could go with 3/4" plywood and build an ADA type stand or a box type stand similar to mass produced particle board you can buy but with 3/4" plywood. Most don't realize that plywood of sufficient design (7 layers min) is stronger that dimensional lumber and in a box type or partial box is immensely strong.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new