Which t5 fixture should I get?

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking on OfferUp for t5 fixtures for a couple weeks now and I keep coming back to these same 2 listings. One is a solarextreme 4 bulb 24” fixture with a built in timer and the other is an aqua medic ocean light t5 that is an 8 bulb 36” fixture. They are both on amazing deals.
The person selling the aqua medic needs it gone (she has 3) so I’ve gotten her down to $80 dollars for the fixture.
The problem with the aqua medic is that I can’t use it with my canopy so I would have to get rid of the canopy(which I love and my family loves)
I negotiated with the owner of the solar extreme and got him To go down to $40
This fixture seems great but I don’t think 24” will be good enough for my 48” tank.
What do you guys think I should go with? And do you think the 24” will be fine and just have small shaded regions on either end?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 bulb. The price is awesome and you’ll have the flexibility to run a few bulbs to keep softies or all eight to keep pretty much anything that requires lots of light later on, such as certain acropora. Thinking in the longterm, you wouldn’t have to upgrade in the future with the 8-bulb unless you wanted to try led or something else for whatever reason. You can always modify a canopy or build another one.

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to keep? Coral I would definitely get the 8 bulb fixture!

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 bulb. The price is awesome and you’ll have the flexibility to run a few bulbs to keep softies or all eight to keep pretty much anything that requires lots of light later on, such as certain acropora. Thinking in the longterm, you wouldn’t have to upgrade in the future with the 8-bulb unless you wanted to try led or something else for whatever reason. You can always modify a canopy or build another one.
Very good point.
The main reason i said I can’t have the canopy is because the instructions say not too. It has internal fans but I fear it will get too hot.I also read somewhere that someone put an 8 bulb fixture in their canopy and they kept having to replace the bulbs every 4 months. Do you think the heat will really be that big of a deal?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good point.
The main reason i said I can’t have the canopy is because the instructions say not too. It has internal fans but I fear it will get too hot.I also read somewhere that someone put an 8 bulb fixture in their canopy and they kept having to replace the bulbs every 4 months. Do you think the heat will really be that big of a deal?
You can always add ducting to the t5’s fan exhaust ports and vent it out of the canopy. On top of that, you can upgrade the fans in your canopy. Those are easy, relatively cheap and effective fixes. As long as you have sufficient airflow entering and exiting the canopy, heat buildup and bulb life span will not be issues.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! i guess i know what im getting haha
It’ll be worth it. I used own an ati powermodule 6-bulb that I picked up from a local reefer. It had two of those tiny cpu fans and one was broken. Well... The first thing I do when I buy things is take them apart, lol. I replaced both fans with three ACfinity fans. They’re nice ballbearing fans, so they were pretty quiet and rediculously powerful for their size. When the light was on, I could put my hand and inch away from the light’s splash shield and feel absolutely no radiant heat. I actually think those fans developed suction and you could hear it on the ends of the fixture. They were crazy. Now if I put my hand over the top of the canopy, I could notice a little warmth, but nothing really bad and certainly nothing that impacted the tank. It was a pretty effective modification.

B921E989-C5A2-498D-BFC8-A05E5324180D.jpeg

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 bulbs are going to run some $$$ 9 months later $$$! 36 in fixture I think has 39 watt bulbs. Ati bulbs at 21.95 x 8 =175 9 months later another 175 now you are at $350. You might be able to find a good led fixture for that price.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I see it, T5s probably will cost more in the long run IF a comparable led fixture doesn’t have issues before then. I’ve seen plenty of really good led fixtures die within two years. Reef tanks are rough on equipment and seeing how your light is going to be in a canopy, it’s not going to be nice to any fixture. Personally, I don’t think replacing eight t5’s every 12 months (I think it’s more reasonable) for $175 is too far out of line from replacing a $350-500 led fixture every 2-3 years. Once you buy a light, you’re invested into it and I would never assume one will last longer than the other, but I will consider what I can replace if something does fail earlier than expected. Either way, good lighting comes at a premium.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’ll be worth it. I used own an ati powermodule 6-bulb that I picked up from a local reefer. It had two of those tiny cpu fans and one was broken. Well... The first thing I do when I buy things is take them apart, lol. I replaced both fans with three ACfinity fans. They’re nice ballbearing fans, so they were pretty quiet and rediculously powerful for their size. When the light was on, I could put my hand and inch away from the light’s splash shield and feel absolutely no radiant heat. I actually think those fans developed suction and you could hear it on the ends of the fixture. They were crazy. Now if I put my hand over the top of the canopy, I could notice a little warmth, but nothing really bad and certainly nothing that impacted the tank. It was a pretty effective modification.

B921E989-C5A2-498D-BFC8-A05E5324180D.jpeg
did you get the low speed or high speed option?

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I see it, T5s probably will cost more in the long run IF a comparable led fixture doesn’t have issues before then. I’ve seen plenty of really good led fixtures die within two years. Reef tanks are rough on equipment and seeing how your light is going to be in a canopy, it’s not going to be nice to any fixture. Personally, I don’t think replacing eight t5’s every 12 months (I think it’s more reasonable) for $175 is too far out of line from replacing a $350-500 led fixture every 2-3 years. Once you buy a light, you’re invested into it and I would never assume one will last longer than the other, but I will consider what I can replace if something does fail earlier than expected. Either way, good lighting comes at a premium.
maybe it would be beter to run it as a 5 or 6 bulb set up? the light comes with ati bulbs so maybe i could just use 5 of the bulbs and keep the other 3 bulbs as replacments

Marine430

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to love the Simplicity of T5 lighting! But it got to a point where I was replacing bulbs every 9 months you can push it to 12 months. But ultimately what got me in the LED is not being able to find replacement parts for my T5 fixture. First the fan went. That was no big deal bought a replacement fan for ten bucks and installed it. The big kicker was replacing the ballast. Nothing about this hobby is cheap. I do think you will be happy with it and it will get you by for a year or so. nothing is made to last.

OP
OP
neltel_7

neltel_7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can’t bring myself to spend that much money up front for an led light haha. Maybe if I found an insane deal but definitely not the price of a new one.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed how people think the priority should be their pockets, saving on lighting, and still spend thousands on organisms. Most times they don't even quarantine.
Anyways...
My 2 cents: Get an ATI 48" (cause your system is 48") that would cover the whole system. Example: 55gal. would get a 4bulb fixture and a 75gal would get a 6 bulb fixture, independent of what you will keep! No need dimmable, just the regular fixture. The more bulbs the better for the spectum with more combo capabilities. Quality is better than savings! ATI fixtures are the most efficient and will last forever with one of the very best customer services I've seen... Good luck.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed how people think the priority should be their pockets, saving on lighting, and still spend thousands on organisms. Most times they don't even quarantine.
Anyways...
My 2 cents: Get an ATI 48" (cause your system is 48") that would cover the whole system. Example: 55gal. would get a 4bulb fixture and a 75gal would get a 6 bulb fixture, independent of what you will keep! No need dimmable, just the regular fixture. The more bulbs the better for the spectum with more combo capabilities. Quality is better than savings! ATI fixtures are the most efficient and will last forever with one of the very best customer services I've seen... Good luck.
Agree 110% lol.
I always get a laugh about how much it costs to replace T5's.
Buy one a month at $20+ which is less than any frag you will buy.
Plus you get brand new light.
I replace mine at 9 months. Regardless of what some say that they last 18+ Months I notice a difference when changing and my corals are woth alot more than $20 a month lol.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back