Which tank to buy

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Howdy,

I currently have a 75g and have been bitten by the "go bigger" bug. I'm torn between the SC Aquarium 150g and the Custom Aquariums 180g. Not factoring in any aesthetics or features, which tank maker is better in regards to quality and reliability? Or are they equal?

Last thing I want is to go bigger and have XXX amount of gallons of water draining into my home, due to a failed seam (every reefer's nightmare).

And please, no suggestions to get a Reef Savvy or Red Sea. If I had the money I'd obviously go that route.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my 240 from custom aquariums and I couldn't be happier. Lifetime guarantee on the tank, their sump design is unique but highly efficient, and overall quality was great.

OP
OP
Twocorns

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I bought my 240 from custom aquariums and I couldn't be happier. Lifetime guarantee on the tank, their sump design is unique but highly efficient, and overall quality was great.
How's the metal frame holding up? Any rust?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the metal frame holding up? Any rust?

All wood, no metal. I think the threshold is 300 gallons before they start putting metal stands. Good quality I have no fear of it ever rotting out.

I'm sure you can get a metal stand if you want one. Me personally the increased cost isn't worth it.

OP
OP
Twocorns

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
All wood, no metal. I think the threshold is 300 gallons before they start putting metal stands. Good quality I have no fear of it ever rotting out.

I'm sure you can get a metal stand if you want one. Me personally the increased cost isn't worth it.
I meant the metal frame on the tank itself. Doesnt custom aquariums use metal frames on their tanks, instead of plastic?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go SC Aquariums. Call and ask Steve of SCA for the other edition of the 150 gallon. It's not up on their site. It has thicker glass, no eurobracing for a true rimless look and comes pre drilled for the Synergy Reef overflow. @Reefcowboy has one and I believe he got the 20" Synergy overflow for it. Then I'd get get their wood stand and that's it. The rest, I'd customize myself... sump, skimmer, return and plumbing so I could customize it exactly how I wanted.

OP
OP
Twocorns

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
I'd go SC Aquariums. Call and ask Steve of SCA for the other edition of the 150 gallon. It's not up on their site. It has thicker glass, no eurobracing for a true rimless look and comes pre drilled for the Synergy Reef overflow. @Reefcowboy has one and I believe he got the 20" Synergy overflow for it. Then I'd get get their wood stand and that's it. The rest, I'd customize myself... sump, skimmer, return and plumbing so I could customize it exactly how I wanted.
Yeah, I asked him about that version of the 150. But at $1499 id probably just buy the regular 150 and stand.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sup Waterdog

Yes, before making a purchase call Steve at SC Aquariums. The finish and look of the tank are excellent and the price will surprise you.
They have new rimless tanks with 15mm glass(150 gal) on all four sides. Predrilled for the synergy 20" overflow and two 1" returns. SC also has a 3 year warranty and Steve is a pleasure to work with.

The tank is very similar to the Reefers from Red Sea, with the advantage you can skip the annoying center overflow and customize your stand and sump. I have my tank and stand unused as I am trying to get a new house this year for it. Here are some pics

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

OP
OP
Twocorns

Twocorns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Sup Waterdog

Yes, before making a purchase call Steve at SC Aquariums. The finish and look of the tank are excellent and the price will surprise you.
They have new rimless tanks with 15mm glass(150 gal) on all four sides. Predrilled for the synergy 20" overflow and two 1" returns. SC also has a 3 year warranty and Steve is a pleasure to work with.

The tank is very similar to the Reefers from Red Sea, with the advantage you can skip the annoying center overflow and customize your stand and sump. I have my tank and stand unused as I am trying to get a new house this year for it. Here are some pics

IMG_0795.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

I actually saw your tank in another forum, lol. I already have a 16" ghost overflow, so i would just reuse it if i get your version of the 150g. Anyone know how much the 150g tank stand costs?

Carlos Danger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the SC aquariums are made in China, the finished product has always been perfect. Ive owned the 120g and the 150 gallon. This new 150 rimless looks absolutely delicious and adding the ghost overflow is like the cherry on top.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea's Reefer raised the bar on tank's quality, craftmanship and price.
They made it real easy to get a rimless, custom-like tank where all readily available were plastic euro braced ones. If you inspect those tanks, you wont find flaws.

Before I bought my tank, got quotes from local custom builders in NYC and they were out of this world expensive. Again, some builders like Felix do insane good work, but spending $4,000 for a 150 gal tank when you can get a very similar, quality one for $1,500 is out of question.

SC's tanks are very similar to the Reefer, also made in China with the advantage of some more customizable options. Red Sea's Reefer coming Peninsula and 750XL seem to also be awesome as well. I noticed the reefer 525xl has thinner glass pannels on the sides(1/2")where SC's have all four sides 15mm

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the 180! I went from a 75 gallon to a 180 and thought that would be the biggest I want. I'm five months in with the 180 and I already want bigger.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote is also to go with SCA. I've bought two of their PNP systems and just recently bought a custom tank. Custom prices from other companies were outrageous compared to what Steve gave me. I got the tank and solid wood stand for the price of just the tank from the other company.

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call acrylic creations in PA they are making my tank for a great price and they are great people that will work with you

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
call acrylic creations in PA they are making my tank for a great price and they are great people that will work with you

Just make sure you very carefully check your seams before accepting delivery... There have been a couple of recent threads on here where the seams had some serious workmanship issues.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-tank-delivered-today-need-help-cosmetic-or-bad-seams.282884/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acrylic-creations.232013/#post-3695730

Last edited:

cap232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only problem with bigger tanks is not the cost of the tank. its the amount of good lighting. a good properly sized skimmer. more cost in salt for changes ect. and the power to run it. I had to have a electrician add breakers and run wiring..
for me 25g is ,ore than enough. but if you have the money to spare and the time go for it.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed it but where are you located? If in the central US check out planet aquariums in the Dallas, TX area. The make very nice tanks at reasonable prices.

Also, go as wide as possible and deeper than you actually think. A 180 is awesome, but as soon as you get it you'll want a 30 deep (front to back) rather than 24. Personally 7' x 30" & 24" sounds perfect, whatever gallon that is.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 160 61.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.5%
Back