Which Tunze?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon!
Need help for a 6 foot 125 gallon
Mostly LPS, mushrooms and zoas. Only one montipora cap
What tunze pumps will be considered adequate for the tank. May add SPS in the future.
Thanks!

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the stream 3 and 6095 powerheads. Both are great, but the 6095 is a "wide flow" model that I actually like more for my 100 gal than the stream 3 because the flow is so wide you can really turn it up but it does not just blast into one point or hit the other side of the tank and move the sand. The stream 3 is much larger and more challenging to mount because of the shape/orientation but that 5 year warranty w/ the stream 3 helps me sleep at night, it kicks out a massive amount of flow. Love Tunze by the way, best customer service, the warranty really means something.

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both the stream 3 and 6095 powerheads. Both are great, but the 6095 is a "wide flow" model that I actually like more for my 100 gal than the stream 3 because the flow is so wide you can really turn it up but it does not just blast into one point or hit the other side of the tank and move the sand. The stream 3 is much larger and more challenging to mount because of the shape/orientation but that 5 year warranty w/ the stream 3 helps me sleep at night, it kicks out a massive amount of flow. Love Tunze by the way, best customer service, the warranty really means something.[/

What about the 6105’s?
I have 2 overflows both off center
Would that be too much?
Will 2 6095’s be enough?

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both options would provide plenty of flow and the advantage with these dc models is you can turn them way down, so when your tank becomes obstructed with growth you can turn them up. However, it would be good to hear from folks who have the same length/footprint as your tank..?

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both options are great but i like the 3 better .

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both options are great but i like the 3 better .

Hi! Won’t it be too much flow on my tank?
Does it have to be placed pointing up? If pointing across the tank, does it have to be on the front pane? My overflows are both off center and not in the corner.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 6 foot tank having two powerful pumps on either end with a minimum of 3000 gph each with directional flow is ideal. The Tunze 6095 is a great wide flow pump but in order to generate proper circulation across the aquarium I recommend a more powerful and more directional pump rather than a less powerful wide flow pump.

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 6 foot tank having two powerful pumps on either end with a minimum of 3000 gph each with directional flow is ideal. The Tunze 6095 is a great wide flow pump but in order to generate proper circulation across the aquarium I recommend a more powerful and more directional pump rather than a less powerful wide flow pump.

Will it have to be pointed upward on opposite ends? Both overflows are off center and the stream 3 has different mounting options as far as I could see. If positioned verically on opposite ends will it give the right amount of flow needed? Not sure how vertical mounting works with regards to flow

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Won’t it be too much flow on my tank?
Does it have to be placed pointing up? If pointing across the tank, does it have to be on the front pane? My overflows are both off center and not in the corner.
no it doesn't have to be on front or back or straight up and down. mine is on the side angled up from bottom and i use the 90 degree reflector included, to shoot across the tank . one on each side

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it have to be pointed upward on opposite ends? Both overflows are off center and the stream 3 has different mounting options as far as I could see. If positioned verically on opposite ends will it give the right amount of flow needed? Not sure how vertical mounting works with
regards to flow

Thanks for the reply! Will it be possible for you to show me how you positioned them in your tank through a pic? If it’s not too much of a hassle , I’d really appreciate it!
I don’t know what a deflector looks like and my pumps now are just the hydors. The pic of my tank is on my avatar.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6095's would be great if SPS are minimal, 6105s or 6150 Stream 3 are better suited to SPS, you would likely run the Stream 3's turned down a bit, at least until it was full of SPS.

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6095's would be great if SPS are minimal, 6105s or 6150 Stream 3 are better suited to SPS, you would likely run the Stream 3's turned down a bit, at least until it was full of SPS.

I may be doing sps in the future. Not confident yet right now to keep them alive. Lol

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of pests and maintaining Ca and KH they are pretty easy. I have yet to have lost a single montipora, but I have had torches die. I would not consider them harder to keep in general if you have the flow and lighting and just monitor the chemistry and maybe avoid acros since they tend to be the most prone to diseases and pests.

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of pests and maintaining Ca and KH they are pretty easy. I have yet to have lost a single montipora, but I have had torches die. I would not consider them harder to keep in general if you have the flow and lighting and just monitor the chemistry and maybe avoid acros since they tend to be the most prone to diseases and pests.

Thanks for the info! I presently have one montipora frag given by my LFS a year ago and so far it’s alive! It turned brown a couple months ago and I moved it down and now it’s green again. I don’t even know what kind of montipora i have .
Do you happen to have a picture of the deflector for the 6150? Sorry for these kinds of questions. I’ve only had hydors and no experience with the high end power heads .

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the 3 that are included, the bottom one is pretty new so if it is missing from yours, just ask, they are free.

csm_6150.200_783180d628.jpg csm_6150.300_7663f75ac7.jpg

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the 3 that are included, the bottom one is pretty new so if it is missing from yours, just ask, they are free.

csm_6150.200_783180d628.jpg csm_6150.300_7663f75ac7.jpg

Is the top one the 90 degree deflector? What is the bottom one’s function?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top one is more like 45 degrees, it spreads the flow quite a bit, the grid one is a wide diffuse flow and the bottom one makes a very direct laminar flow. This video gives a good demo.

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top one is more like 45 degrees, it spreads the flow quite a bit, the grid one is a wide diffuse flow and the bottom one makes a very direct laminar flow. This video gives a good demo.

Good morning !
I just got 2 6105’s yesterday.
I was just wondering about placement. Tank is 6 feet long and 18 inches deep and 24 high. Do I use the wide or narrow flow? The overflows are both off center.
Mostly LPS and zoas. Ordered some montipora frags.
Thanks!!!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a generic pattern to try and you can fine tune it from there-

One pump in each back corner about 8" from the top with a very slight upward angle, just a few degrees, aim them to hit the front about 4.5ft away, you don't want to go corner to corner but before the corner, corner to corner the flow bounces back, if we hit before the corner we glance it and roll it around. I would have one pump idle at low speed and the other pulse between the lowest speed and the highest speed you corals can handle. Every 6 hours switch them so the other pulses and the other idles. As far as the wide vs narrow, narrow flow is about 18" wide 7ft of reach, wide flow is a bit over 2ft wide and 5 ft of reach, basically I would choose wide flow for Euphyllias and Gonis, most everything else will do OK in the narrow, but you may want to experiment with what gives the corals the best appearance (most open) and keeps detritus swept up.

OP
OP
Edmund Y.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a generic pattern to try and you can fine tune it from there-

One pump in each back corner about 8" from the top with a very slight upward angle, just a few degrees, aim them to hit the front about 4.5ft away, you don't want to go corner to corner but before the corner, corner to corner the flow bounces back, if we hit before the corner we glance it and roll it around. I would have one pump idle at low speed and the other pulse between the lowest speed and the highest speed you corals can handle. Every 6 hours switch them so the other pulses and the other idles. As far as the wide vs narrow, narrow flow is about 18" wide 7ft of reach, wide flow is a bit over 2ft wide and 5 ft of reach, basically I would choose wide flow for Euphyllias and Gonis, most everything else will do OK in the narrow, but you may want to experiment with what gives the corals the best appearance (most open) and keeps detritus swept up.
Thank you very much!!!!
Will let u know how it goes.

Back