Which wrasse to choose from? Only 1

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My LFS has these wrasse coming out of QT next week and I have first dibs.
Thoughts on good temperament or choice for which I should go with?
* Melanurus Wrasse
* Soloensis Wrasse
* Whip Fin Wrasse
* Lubbock Fair Wrasse

My current set-up and fish. 180 gallon.
six line wrasse, kole tang, hippo tang, scopas tang, blue throat trigger, mandarin, yellow watchman

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The six line wrasse will probably harass and kill what ever other wrasse you put in the tank. It will probably simply make them jump out. Do you have a lid?

Soloensis Wrasse is one of my favorite fish

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sixline is almost a one wrasse in the tank kind of wrasse unfortuantely. They are usually very nice to other fish, not so much to wrasses. I agree with @Tcook id catch it and trade it in or sell it, you have some serious space for a really nice wrasse in there.

OP
OP
WallyTime7

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A sixline is almost a one wrasse in the tank kind of wrasse unfortuantely. They are usually very nice to other fish, not so much to wrasses. I agree with @Tcook id catch it and trade it in or sell it, you have some serious space for a really nice wrasse in there.
dang, that sucks. Let me ask this. What wrasse is the best for eating small parachute worms or other types of clean-up like that? That's really what I want. If it's the 6, I want to keep him. Otherwise, I'll swap. I'm more for functionality of keeping a self sustainable tank rather than just looks and me worrying about this or that along the way.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that sucks. Let me ask this. What wrasse is the best for eating small parachute worms or other types of clean-up like that? That's really what I want. If it's the 6, I want to keep him. Otherwise, I'll swap. I'm more for functionality of keeping a self sustainable tank rather than just looks and me worrying about this or that along the way.
Well a 6 line is a pest eating master, there is no doubt about that. I have one in my 90G reef and its always cruisin for meals.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang, that sucks. Let me ask this. What wrasse is the best for eating small parachute worms or other types of clean-up like that?
The melanurus wrasse you listed is good at that. Mine keeps my bristleworm population in my 125 down to invisible.

You could get that one, and get the solar and the lubbock. Whip fins are actually pretty aggressive for a fairy wrasse.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add wrasse's is easy if you add them all the same time. If you have a dominant wrasse or semi aggressive wrasse. its hard to add non aggressive wrasses. Its not that it cant be done as the temperament of every fish is different and the layout of aquarium is different. But its just rule to thumb of what is going to happen from others experiences.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 180g. 2 small wrasses should be no sweat. If you saidd it was a lunar or your tank was 40g maybe different. plenty of escape room in 180g. I have a melanurus and he is awesome. I would recommend

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrysus will do the work and not murder anyone. No need to keep Dexter.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back