White Bare Bottom Solution for Red Sea Reefers?

Rhapsody in Blue Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After falling in love with the Emoceans tank on instagram for a while, I've been wondering how to do a white bare bottom on my current red sea reefer build. Many threads on here suggested starboard plastic siliconed to the bottom of the glass, but I've heard the starboard easily grows coralline algae. Tonight I've been wondering about another approach.

Has anyone who wanted a white bare bottom considered or actually tried painting the top of the red sea cabinet white? That way the bare bottom is the glass which resists coralline algae and makes the cleaning easier, while still giving the modern elegant white bare bottom?

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After falling in love with the Emoceans tank on instagram for a while, I've been wondering how to do a white bare bottom on my current red sea reefer build. Many threads on here suggested starboard plastic siliconed to the bottom of the glass, but I've heard the starboard easily grows coralline algae. Tonight I've been wondering about another approach.

Has anyone who wanted a white bare bottom considered or actually tried painting the top of the red sea cabinet white? That way the bare bottom is the glass which resists coralline algae and makes the cleaning easier, while still giving the modern elegant white bare bottom?
I’ve loved Emoceans tank as well on Instagram. I would love to set up my live rock like that, modern and minimal.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I tried that in an ELOS 120 in the past. The tank was BB with a thin foam piece (like insulation you find at home depot). It isn't the same as white starboard because you still get a ton of reflection from the glass, but it is a "whiter" reflection (if that makes any sense).

Overall, it's good, but still looks very bare bottom.

noelskii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use starboard….
955CECA0-AB04-4E35-A142-B266D5FE29CE.jpeg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. where do you get starboard from?
2. what size starboard? To you get it to fit perfectly or have a gap?
3. How do you fix it to the tank? Silicon to the bottom?
4. How do you clean it? From what I know it has a textured surface?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
you can get customized or precut starboard here. you choose the size and thickness.

noelskii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. where do you get starboard from? Mostly boat places or plastic shops (google and shop around for best prices- I’ve gotten from boat outfitters, acesany plastics, palm beach plastics)

2. what size starboard? To you get it to fit perfectly or have a gap? I usually get 1/2” thick and leave about 1/2” gap on all sides including overflow box and I have the whole top side rounded so that there are no sharp edges.

3. How do you fix it to the tank? Silicon to the bottom? It just sits directly on top of bottom glass and is held down by your rocks

4. How do you clean it? From what I know it has a textured surface? I don’t normally clean it, but when I do I use one of those rough sponges. Another way to spot clean is put a piece of flat rock or a big frag disc on the spots you want cleaned and leave it there for a few weeks and remove. And what’s underneath turns white again
This is how I send my measurements (for my Waterbox 180.5)

ECA3C02A-D44E-4675-A25F-CDE0793F637B.jpeg

OP
OP
Rhapsody in Blue Reef

Rhapsody in Blue Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can get customized or precut starboard here. you choose the size and thickness.

Thanks, I'll check them out!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I painted the outside of the bottom glass. It gave a similar result as you are looking for, I believe.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would that do for PAR values?!?!

Also... I'm way too OCD to keep a white bare bottom tank...

How long will it stay white? As the tank ages won't various things grow and discolor it? Coralline?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back