White Blotches on achilles tang

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice this white blotch few days ago.
tang has been on coppersafe for about 11 days now. it had ich before and then disappeared after a few days with coppersafe.
then now this surfaced.
i just recheked awhile ago and coppersafe is on 2.0ppm.
It doesnt look like ich to me. I know ich kinda protrudes out of the skin.
but this one is on the skin. its more like small white blotches.
hes eating very heavy. doesnt breath heavy. doesnt swim against the powerhead.
not flashing or anything.

What do you guys think this is? I think this could be flukes?
or could this be stress spots? i know PBT stress spots are vertical lines across his body but not sure with achilles.
Should i just dosed prazipro prophylactically? I was planning to dose prazipro after the coppersafe treatment anyway.
the picture is kinda blur sorry for that

20399472_1393810723988151_996683027_o.jpg

20399472_1393810723988151_9966830274_o.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been treated with Praziquantel or been through a freshwater dip? Flukes could be possible - I'll admit that I'm having trouble distinguishing the spots in your photos as more than pale blurs, but flukes can look like that when you see 'em at all.

~Bruce

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been treated with Praziquantel or been through a freshwater dip? Flukes could be possible - I'll admit that I'm having trouble distinguishing the spots in your photos as more than pale blurs, but flukes can look like that when you see 'em at all.

~Bruce
Nope. he hasnt. so should i just dose prazipro? and it'll just confirm its flukes if its gone in a day or two?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro can be used with copper ... but with some caution, as it can cause a bacterial bloom that drains oxygen from the water. Make sure you've got plenty of flow and oxygen in the water. (Always a good idea with an Achilles tang, anyway!)

A freshwater dip might be your best start - most fish tolerate it well, it removes a decent number of flukes (though not all) quickly. Prazi makes the flukes spasm, which can cause some discomfort to the fish. If you feel confident doing it with the tang (and I would understand not feeling comfortable doing it first time with an achilles!), there's a great instructional video by Melypr1985 here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/video-how-to-do-a-freshwater-dip.286639/#post-3487082

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could see the spots better in the pictures. I think running prazipro as part of a QT on any new fish is a good plan. Doing the freshwater dip first, though is a good plan. Check for the flukes first.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures are not that clear, it might be stress marks from medications, or as previously suggested flukes. +1 for FW dip, it will provide relief if parasites exist and you can check for flukes.
Best of luck

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree I cannot discern anything from the photos -- but Achilles come in with flukes a lot it seems. I would work praziquantel in to your protocol regardless. :)

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update
The white blotches are still there. but still behaving like normal.
no scratching. no swimming against powerhead. no ich-like dots. no white stuff on the eyes.
Coppersafe still at ~2 maybe abit higher.
Also just redosed prazipro after 1 week.
Also i video'd him. i dont know if the tang is fighting his reflection on the glass which causes the white blotches? Is he fighting his reflection?
I dont see the tang scratch himself on the PVC.
Hope these pictures are clearer.
Video of the tang fighting his reflection :

2.jpg

20590701_1400139143355309_527153518_o.jpg

20590539_1400139150021975_1395795863_o.jpg

20616229_1400139146688642_60018465_o.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure he's fighting his reflection - I think it's more likely that he can see the room outside the tank, and would like to swim in all that open space. We see a reflection in the side glass due to the angle, but the fish, looking straight-on, can see through the glass just fine.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots becoming more numerous or staying put?

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the spots becoming more numerous or staying put?
on one side, its kinda been the same for the past week.
on the other side, maybe 2-3 spots got whiter? or i just didnt notice them before.
what do you think are they?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on one side, its kinda been the same for the past week.
on the other side, maybe 2-3 spots got whiter? or i just didnt notice them before.
what do you think are they?
What I am trying to discern is if they are growing in number -- if some have been there for a week I wonder if it could be ich because it falls off in less than a week -- although, on a black fish like an achiles tang, the insertion point may remain and become infected. If they're getting "more white" I wonder if you're actually dealing with an infection. I'd like to hear some other opinions before suggesting anything. If you don't have any on hand, I'd source more antibiotics (kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2)

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am trying to discern is if they are growing in number -- if some have been there for a week I wonder if it could be ich because it falls off in less than a week -- although, on a black fish like an achiles tang, the insertion point may remain and become infected. If they're getting "more white" I wonder if you're actually dealing with an infection. I'd like to hear some other opinions before suggesting anything. If you don't have any on hand, I'd source more antibiotics (kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2)
is possible that ich can still exist after 18 days with coppersafe

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is possible that ich can still exist after 18 days with coppersafe
Yes, in short. You need full 30 days and fully therapeutic levels.

Zero margin for error in 18 day treatment protocol. Unfortunately there are lots of opportunities for error.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, in short. You need full 30 days and fully therapeutic levels.

Zero margin for error in 18 day treatment protocol. Unfortunately there are lots of opportunities for error.
im currently at 18/30 days of copper. another tank is 15 feet away and im pretty sure i havent cross-contaminate anything.
i test the copper every other day. im also sure its above 2ppm. Im really at loss now.

can ich look like that? I know ich is like a grain of salt that is put on the skin.
the white spot doesnt look like that. I dont know what to do :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long until you pull the copper? My instinct is to get him into a clean QT without copper or meds and see what happens...

It could be something bacterial, but I would focus on feeding and maybe adding vitamins to his food to see if he can kick it himself before worrying with antibiotics.

OP
OP
K

kevsqn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long until you pull the copper? My instinct is to get him into a clean QT without copper or meds and see what happens...

It could be something bacterial, but I would focus on feeding and maybe adding vitamins to his food to see if he can kick it himself before worrying with antibiotics.
12 more days until i pull him out. should i wait it out? then transfer him to another qt and see what happens?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 more days until i pull him out. should i wait it out? then transfer him to another qt and see what happens?

If he's still eating, swimming, and breathing normally then I'd keep going with copper for the remaining time then transfer him to a clean QT for observation.

If the blotches start to get worse, or he is lethargic, breathing heavily, or not eating... I would transfer immediately (with perhaps an fw dip/acriflavine bath en route) and re-evaluate. This is assuming he has been in copper at therapeutic levels for at least 14 days.

This is a good read re: bacterial infections and copper, although at this point I don't think the Achilles is in need of "emergency" protocols. But, as an FYI

The Bacterial Infection Predicament

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/The-Bacterial-Infection-Predicament.310311/

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back