White fluffy algae destroying the tank

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think in some way with the bacterial bio load of having a lot of places for bacteria to live . And at this point k don’t really know if to much is good
Totally different bacteria. That's mostly for nitrifying and denitrifying bacteria. If you're having a bloom or visible growth, that bacteria is not going to be affected by any amount of bio spheres

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what about my magnesium and calcium that I need to dose 4 times a week ?
I didn't mean to sound rude , but I think you are trying to do to much to soon .

Carbon dosing and bio pellets can take week s if not months in same cases to show effect, and with the nitrate levels in you're system I can guarantee you didn't let it run it's course.

As for the calcium and magnesium, I reckon with the amount of corals you got you could get away with just weekly water changes with a with a good salt with elevated levels.

Just my opinion that's all . I ain't a pro !!!
good luck either way :)

OP
OP
NatReef

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't mean to sound rude , but I think you are trying to do to much to soon .

Carbon dosing and bio pellets can take week s if not months in same cases to show effect, and with the nitrate levels in you're system I can guarantee you didn't let it run it's course.

As for the calcium and magnesium, I reckon with the amount of corals you got you could get away with just weekly water changes with a with a good salt with elevated levels.

Well no problem didn’t feel rude , I am carbon dosing for 10 weeks now so I think I want some result . And yeah prb want to do to much to soon but I just want the algae away so fast as posibkle and a healthy tank again because like 3 months ago I lost of 20 colonies of Euphyllia and I recently got new one but those are big and they can’t die or even live in not perfect parameters . And it is just always the algae issue comes back first complete green hair algae breakout needed to almost deep clean the rocks ( didn’t do after all ) and then coral growth issue like 0 growth in 6 months ( and unfortunately still is )
And now these weird funky white algae , I am just tired of the algae outbreaks each time again.
The most annoying thing I recently found out that I was using the wrong kind of phosphate reagens for my Hanna checker I have a ppb phosphorus ulr and k was using phosphate ulr reagens ‍♂️

OP
OP
NatReef

NatReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the thing is I buy my saltwater at my small lfs but the mag and Ca levels are to low for me to make my Euphyllias happy (1320 mg , 340 Ca ) I think and like salt 1024 / 25 but I try to keep my salt at 1025 and mg +1430 ca 430
But I am hopeless with my kh it is a big problem I have for the last 3 months a kh over 14 ( I think highest was 15,7 ) and it won’t come down even with wc

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the thing is I buy my saltwater at my small lfs but the mag and Ca levels are to low for me to make my Euphyllias happy (1320 mg , 340 Ca ) I think and like salt 1024 / 25 but I try to keep my salt at 1025 and mg +1430 ca 430
But I am hopeless with my kh it is a big problem I have for the last 3 months a kh over 14 ( I think highest was 15,7 ) and it won’t come down even with wc
If you can't filter your own water at home, you can still just buy RODI water from the LFS and mix your saltwater at home. That way you can buy a salt mix that is closer to the parameters you want.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not helping with parameters and such but rather than blowing it off the rocks maybe vacuum it of with a syphon hose flowing through a filter sock in a bucket then you can pour the water back in. Will probably get more of it out of the tank water vs having it blow around and maybe get to the filtration.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 50 44.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back