White Fuzz...What is it?!

So far so good! The fuzz has not seemed to come back on the rocks, but I am noticing a little bit still lingering on one of my pumps. My plan is to take that pump out this weekend and give it a good scrubbing and cleaning.

Also I adjusted my light schedule to more on the blue spectrum, a longer ramp up and down time, and only 2 hours of peak light output (12 hours total of light). Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but just something else I messed with to keep the fuzz at bay.

Only bad thing that happened since the black out is my wrasse jumped...:(. Must've got scared by how clean the tank was.

@Marc.The.Shark have you tried the black out yet?
This is all good news. If cyano pops up it's because of the light schedule.
 
@Marc.The.Shark have you tried the black out yet?
Yes, I did it over the weekend. Before that I ran some GFO as @reeferfoxx suggested & then did the blackout. Also cleaned the return section of my sump which I hadn't done. There was still a bunch of slimy crap in there. Definitely better after that, prob 99% gone now & Im seeing a few floaters here & there like it's still dying off. So, like you, seems like winning the war so far. Filter socks would plug in 4-6 hours before, now 2-3 days. Fingers crossed for both of us!
 
I've had something similar- looks almost like whitish or tan hair algae. If allowed to grow very long can branch. Mine is worst on raw rock, and on live rock doesn't grow at all. So, I assume it is getting nutrients from the rock. Until I have a decent growth of coralline, I think herbivores are the answer. I added 2 urchins and a dozen large mexican turbos, and then have not completely eliminated it, but controlled it to the point where I don't consider it a real problem.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new