White mouth on clownfish

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I was in the hospital last weekend and came out on Wednesday and noticed my clownfish mouth was white now I’m not sure if it’s just changing color but it would be great to get someone else’s thoughts. (Yes I did have someone feeding the fish while I was out however they could only do it once a day) I’ve read it could be because of food aggression but I’m new to this hobby so I can’t tell any disease yet

13B846A6-0846-4E90-916F-82FB46213063.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello everyone I was in the hospital last weekend and came out on Wednesday and noticed my clownfish mouth was white now I’m not sure if it’s just changing color but it would be great to get someone else’s thoughts. (Yes I did have someone feeding the fish while I was out however they could only do it once a day) I’ve read it could be because of food aggression but I’m new to this hobby so I can’t tell any disease yet

Glad to see you home and recovering
Pic is unfortunately fuzzy and hard to see
Please if you can resubmit and assure both your camera lens and tank glass is clean

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

so, better picture would help

observe your fish - is it biting something, somewhere... if it is cleaning rock (pre-spawn activities) my breeding pair can rub its lips so much/often they change white

lightning clown I no longer own bit other fish so often it rubbed off its lips and bit of its nose and both of those turned white... color returned when it was moved to sump to heal (and not bite any other fish...) and then it was rehomed

can't rule out other things, but sharing above so you can relax a bit

Hopefully YOU are recovering well now. Welcome home

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you home and recovering
Pic is unfortunately fuzzy and hard to see
Please if you can resubmit and assure both your camera lens and tank glass is clean
Thank you i have a 40 sec vid that I’ve been trying to take screen shots but they come out blurry when I try zooming in I’ve been doing some “googling” and have heard that it could be due to food aggression. I have a royal gramma in the tank as well and they both go at the food and it’s the clownfish that pushes off the gramma. The gramma hasn’t fought back or at least I haven’t caught it fighting. Could this be it since they were only fed once a day? (I got them used to eating 2 times a day)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    70.3 MB
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, better picture would help

observe your fish - is it biting something, somewhere... if it is cleaning rock (pre-spawn activities) my breeding pair can rub its lips so much/often they change white

lightning clown I no longer own bit other fish so often it rubbed off its lips and bit of its nose and both of those turned white... color returned when it was moved to sump to heal (and not bite any other fish...) and then it was rehomed

can't rule out other things, but sharing above so you can relax a bit

Hopefully YOU are recovering well now. Welcome home
Thank you please also take a look at what I have replied to in order for more information and I also believe to have found a slightly clear picture

Attachments

• D010148A-9960-4CDA-88AE-CF5E3402058D.jpeg
    D010148A-9960-4CDA-88AE-CF5E3402058D.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 40

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched your movie and looked at photo. As it swims, I am unable to detect any swelling or fuzziness, so I'm leaning towards self-inflicted biting. Those rocks are VERY clean so I no longer think it is biting rocks to clean them, but you didn't indicate you had a pair so maybe this was never really a consideration.

I'm not a believer in treating something unless certain there is something to treat. My vote is continued observation unless another symptom happens.

Fingers crossed you both heal well together now that you are home!

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched your movie and looked at photo. As it swims, I am unable to detect any swelling or fuzziness, so I'm leaning towards self-inflicted biting. Those rocks are VERY clean so I no longer think it is biting rocks to clean them, but you didn't indicate you had a pair so maybe this was never really a consideration.

I'm not a believer in treating something unless certain there is something to treat. My vote is continued observation unless another symptom happens.

Fingers crossed you both heal well together now that you are home!
I did have a pair but the other I suspect had swim bladder disease and I was not able to act quick enough. As of right now it is just this clownfish and a royal gramma in the tank (well besides a small CUC) but nah there is not another clownfish, it’s just her) thanks you for watching the video I felt guilty uploading but I honestly struggled getting a good shot I’ll try again tomorrow in order to keep you updated. Also what symptoms do I look for? I have seen her on the sand bed however not really scratching her scales just trying to rest since it really only happens when I pass by in the morning. I have noticed some small mouth movements sometimes but I wouldn’t necessarily say “gasping” more like muttering but anything specific to keep an eye out for?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a pair but the other I suspect had swim bladder disease and I was not able to act quick enough. As of right now it is just this clownfish and a royal gramma in the tank (well besides a small CUC) but nah there is not another clownfish, it’s just her) thanks you for watching the video I felt guilty uploading but I honestly struggled getting a good shot I’ll try again tomorrow in order to keep you updated. Also what symptoms do I look for? I have seen her on the sand bed however not really scratching her scales just trying to rest since it really only happens when I pass by in the morning. I have noticed some small mouth movements sometimes but I wouldn’t necessarily say “gasping” more like muttering but anything specific to keep an eye out for?

Look for anything else out of the ordinary.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you i have a 40 sec vid that I’ve been trying to take screen shots but they come out blurry when I try zooming in I’ve been doing some “googling” and have heard that it could be due to food aggression. I have a royal gramma in the tank as well and they both go at the food and it’s the clownfish that pushes off the gramma. The gramma hasn’t fought back or at least I haven’t caught it fighting. Could this be it since they were only fed once a day? (I got them used to eating 2 times a day)
It is of similar quality but i was able to expand image.
Clown seems normal in both behavior and swim appearance and I would keep on eye on it going forward. For color/coloration, assure it gets proper diet. Its a core belief that these guys are pellet and flake eaters exclusively and is not the case in part.
Add foods with protein and fats such as :
LRS fish frenzy
marine cuisine
mysis shrimp
spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
chopped krill

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally. You will see an increase in color , vitally and even conditioning for breeding

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is of similar quality but i was able to expand image.
Clown seems normal in both behavior and swim appearance and I would keep on eye on it going forward. For color/coloration, assure it gets proper diet. Its a core belief that these guys are pellet and flake eaters exclusively and is not the case in part.
Add foods with protein and fats such as :
LRS fish frenzy
marine cuisine
mysis shrimp
spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
chopped krill

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally. You will see an increase in color , vitally and even conditioning for breeding
Well I feed her a small variety but mostly mysis, brine and pellets. What would you definitely recommend from the list you provided the most? that would also benefit her immune system/ coloration ( also thanks for the advice )

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly unrelated to the issue, but your clown has some developmental/genetic issues - we see that a lot in tank raised clowns. Basically, its fins are shorter than they should be and the gills are flared a bit. It also seems to be breathing a bit fast - does that tank have good aeration in it?

Jay

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well I feed her a small variety but mostly mysis, brine and pellets. What would you definitely recommend from the list you provided the most? that would also benefit her immune system/ coloration ( also thanks for the advice )
LRS

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly unrelated to the issue, but your clown has some developmental/genetic issues - we see that a lot in tank raised clowns. Basically, its fins are shorter than they should be and the gills are flared a bit. It also seems to be breathing a bit fast - does that tank have good aeration in it?

Jay
I have added an air stone in the tank itself what else could increase aeration in the tank?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back