White sharp growths on Midas Blenny

Kenkee

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2021
Messages
42
Reaction score
30
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last few days, I've noticed these strange growths on the side of my Midas Blenny, they seem like sharp hair-like crystals. No other fish show any signs of similar growths.

Her movements around the tank and eating habits don't seem to be affected in any way as of yet and was hoping someone could help me identify what this is. I'm attaching some photos.



Midas_5.png
Midas_4.png
Midas_3.png
Midas_2.png
Midas_1.png
 
do you have any bristle/fireworms in your tank? this looks very much like their "stingers"
 
do you have any bristle/fireworms in your tank? this looks very much like their "stingers"
I do have a few, if that's what it is do I need to treat it or will they come out on their own?
 
I do have a few, if that's what it is do I need to treat it or will they come out on their own?
get a natural predator.

have read many posts bout bumble bee snails being able to eat bristle worms. 6line wrasse eats them. yellow coris wrasse, melanurus wrasse. arrow crab, coral banded shrimp.
 
get a natural predator.

have read many posts bout bumble bee snails being able to eat bristle worms. 6line wrasse eats them. yellow coris wrasse, melanurus wrasse. arrow crab, coral banded shrimp.
I have a mandarin goby in my tank so I don't want to add anything that'll mess up the pod population for him, its a 60-gallon tank any suggestions based on that?
 
I have a mandarin goby in my tank so I don't want to add anything that'll mess up the pod population for him, its a 60-gallon tank any suggestions based on that?
arrow crab or coral banded shrimp, with some bumble bee snails(maybe like 6?)

perhaps someone else can chime in to other natural predators.
 
I agree on bristles. Not flukes.
 
I saw my pistol shrimp eating bristleworms…wouldn’t put it past a good ol’ “reef safe” emerald crab either…
 
arrow crab or coral banded shrimp, with some bumble bee snails(maybe like 6?)

perhaps someone else can chime in to other natural predators.
Gotcha, thank you!
 
I saw my pistol shrimp eating bristleworms…wouldn’t put it past a good ol’ “reef safe” emerald crab either…
I've read too many horror stories about emerald crabs to want to take that risk
 
I've read too many horror stories about emerald crabs to want to take that risk
Mine was a total pita. Ripped up cloves and even killed a brittle star…but was unmatched for algae eating. They are definitely worth it but I understand why you wouldn’t get one.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new