White spot moray eel

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anybody have experience with white spot moray eel ? Looks like a dragon eel are they are they related? As aggressive?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not in the same genus; and despite the menacing looks of the dragon eel, they are not that aggressive when in the right tank. Are you talking Gymnothorax johnsoni, which I've never offered; or Gymnothorax moringa, which I have seen around. What size tank and what is to go with him.
#BobLoblaw

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not in the same genus; and despite the menacing looks of the dragon eel, they are not that aggressive when in the right tank. Are you talking Gymnothorax johnsoni, which I've never offered; or Gymnothorax moringa, which I have seen around. What size tank and what is to go with him.
#BobLoblaw

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it’s either ? Seen it go by the name West African white spotted dragon eel . 133 gal. Display it will be first fish in future hope to add Radiata lionfish ,a tang and saragasum trigger. Also LPS corals

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are talking about a Muraena pavonina, which is also known as the Brazilian dragon eel. Have you seen one availabe or just wishing for one. I looked for one for almost 2 years and gave up. Yes these guys are related to the Hawaiian and Japanese dragon eel, Muraena pardalis. Good fish line up.

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s the one ! LFS has one about 25” for 350$ . Can’t find much info. on these eels

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome eel. Adding one that size as the first fish will be tricky. Make sure he is on a strict feeding schedule and very satisfied, if you feed every 3 days, dont miss feeding. Other fish need to be on the med/large to large size. Make sure the radiata is eating dead food very well before adding. I wouldn't make a habit of feeding the tank live food with that eel. I'm jealous. Info will be relatable to the Hawaiian or other small gang tooth eels like the jeweled, which some people call the Mexican dragon.

Oh yeah, let's talk about filtration, it will be huge.

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome eel. Adding one that size as the first fish will be tricky. Make sure he is on a strict feeding schedule and very satisfied, if you feed every 3 days, dont miss feeding. Other fish need to be on the med/large to large size. Make sure the radiata is eating dead food very well before adding. I wouldn't make a habit of feeding the tank live food with that eel. I'm jealous. Info will be relatable to the Hawaiian or other small gang tooth eels like the jeweled, which some people call the Mexican dragon.

Oh yeah, let's talk about filtration, it will be huge.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion King summed it up nicely. I'd definitely add and wean the Radiata before getting the eel. $350 seems a bit pricey.

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for advice!
Filtration will be a skimmer(Reef Octopus classic 202-s)
Skimz cheto reactor
Marine pure blocks 2-4x8. 1-1x8
100lbs Tonga branch
Water changes

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need some sort of cave/hiding spot for the eel which I don't branch rock will be able to provide

OP
OP
Dan Friday

Dan Friday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6A644234-41D9-474A-8FFB-594189971946.jpeg
There is a black schedule 40 pipe 25”x inch and a halve inside diameter under base. Plus the structure is made so It is floating for eel to swim under .Will this be enough?

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PVC should be good but may want to add on a bit so it's longer than the eels body.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On 2nd thought, the radiata may be a risk. Not only are they a difficult lion to keep, I've found them to be on e of the slowest moving and least active of the lions. If the eel wasn't as large I wouldn't be so worried. The fish will get out of his way, and if well fed and satisfied, he will not likely put out the effort to wrestle them down. But the radiata could easily be surprised and taken down. At 25" this guy is already a very efficient hunter. Maybe others will chime in.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back