white spots / bubbles? on 1 then 2 fish HELP!

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
white spots/ bubble on1 then 2 fish. noticed this on 1 fish last week now my clown has the same thing guessing this isnt good any info MUCH appreciated. also dont know if this is any relation but the small snails that i normally
Annotation 2020-01-24 221222.PNG.jpg
never see that are under the sand are all over the place now. i have a video but hes fast :/

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could be different things but from the pics and it being a clown it could be brook.

The other suspects would be ich and velvet.

The spots look more like velvet to me but I'm no expert.

@HotRocks
@4FordFamily

Do you have a Quarentine tank?

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When the spots become too many to count and a "sheen" is on the fish it is velvet.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the spots are starting heavily around the dorsal fin and that top part of the fish it is often brook. Being that it’s a clown this is likely. I think that’s what I see.

I’d remove all fish and treat in a quarantine for 30 days using copper and metroplex. You could do 14 days if you have to separate quarantines that share nothing with the first one (no shared equipment or anything). Metro will take care of brook and uronema and copper velvet and ich— cover your bases. Add prazi after the copper twice 5-7 days apart in the second quarantine to cover most flukes.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the spots are starting heavily around the dorsal fin and that top part of the fish it is often brook. Being that it’s a clown this is likely. I think that’s what I see.

I’d remove all fish and treat in a quarantine for 30 days using copper and metroplex. You could do 14 days if you have to separate quarantines that share nothing with the first one (no shared equipment or anything). Metro will take care of brook and uronema and copper velvet and ich— cover your bases. Add prazi after the copper twice 5-7 days apart in the second quarantine to cover most flukes.
+1 Early Brook and velvet often present the same. ^^^^ this is great advice.

OP
OP
AKAGuyver

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i picked up 2 20 gallons and a 30 gallon off facebbook market and when i came back 2 fish dead, now its just my goby. i really wish i knew more maybe i could have caught this sooner, or been prepared with proper medicines. since goby is a sand sifting fish does he need sand in the QT? how how should i feed him?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sand sifting gobies I put a sand in small plastic dish. When qt is finished I bleach the sand and let it dry out and use it just for qt or else just throw it all away. Since it is a small amount you won't be wasting too much sand.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks i picked up 2 20 gallons and a 30 gallon off facebbook market and when i came back 2 fish dead, now its just my goby. i really wish i knew more maybe i could have caught this sooner, or been prepared with proper medicines. since goby is a sand sifting fish does he need sand in the QT? how how should i feed him?
It is ok don’t feel too bad from what I have read velvet happens so quick you almost do not have enough time to set up a separate tank

OP
OP
AKAGuyver

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

im seeing that metroplex is a food additive would i be using that along with acriflavine or formaline like recomended here:

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't beat yourself up over it i lost all my fish to velvet back in November it happens so fast you don't have time to treat it properly unless you got all the meds on hand and a QT already setup

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry for your losses. Here's a link below that can help you prepare for the future.

As others have posted a small plate or bowl with sand is good. I usually just toss out the sand each week to avoid a build up of debris, waste, etc.

OP
OP
AKAGuyver

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys. ive got the qt all set up but for the life of me cannot catch the goby :/ i dont know how he shows no signs and is chuggin along like nothing even happened. im going to be doing a full aquascape in then next few days, i took this tank over from a family member and knew 1% of anything reef related when i started and have been 110% ever since, my girl has been very understanding considering the many nights falling asleep at the computer researching things :p I really want to get the goby out and into qt cause i feel he may harbor the parasites even if hes not showing signs but any info would be really helpful

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until the lights have been out in the room and tank for a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight, shine the light into the goby's eyes. The light will mesmerize the fish making it easy to net.

OP
OP
AKAGuyver

AKAGuyver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait until the lights have been out in the room and tank for a couple of hours. Using a small flashlight, shine the light into the goby's eyes. The light will mesmerize the fish making it easy to net.
dang i wish i saw this earlier i took all the rocks out :/ remember this in future :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back