White Spotted Anemone Shrimp Missing for Five Days

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I purchased a white spotted anemone shrimp from a reputable livestock dealer. The acclimation was uneventful and the shrimp was acting pretty normal although was quite cautious to move about the tank. The next morning I woke up to not seeing the shrimp anywhere, I found part of its’ tail and carapace on the sand but thought it was most likely molt and gave it a few days. Well I’m coming up on a week since I’ve seen this shrimp so I’m likely thinking that piece of tail I fished out of the tank last week was not the shrimp molt and was a piece of the actual shrimp (also remembering that the shrimp “molt” had an extremely bad smell to it when I pulled it from the tank, unfortunately I didn’t check if it was hollow or not). My livestock only consists of a trimma goby (nano-type), a cerith snail, and a columbellid snail. Along with a frogspawn, hammer, and Duncan coral. Does anyone know if this shrimp could be targeted by any of this livestock as I certainly didn’t think any of these creatures were capable of killing a shrimp. I’m just trying to figure out how this shrimp died and if I should get another one or not. My leading theories:

1) The shrimp was killed by something in the tank as the shrimp tail was the only thing left.

2) The shrimp died and was then consumed by other tank members.

3) The shrimp was pulled into a powerhead, my powerhead runs extremely slow and is well covered so I’m finding this theory hard to believe.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could possibly be 1, 2, or 3, or 4) sometimes they just don't make it through the transfer and acclimation, it happens sometimes, these animals go through a lot before they get to us, none of us have 100% acclimation success rate.

Unfortunately I don't think you can ever know, it doesn't sound like anything that you did though.

OP
OP
AstroCoral

AstroCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it could possibly be 1, 2, or 3, or 4) sometimes they just don't make it through the transfer and acclimation, it happens sometimes, these animals go through a lot before they get to us, none of us have 100% acclimation success rate.

Unfortunately I don't think you can ever know, it doesn't sound like anything that you did though.
Thank you for the reply! The transport process certainly seems to take a toll on livestock. I’m in this debate with myself about either forgoing another shrimp versus getting another one. If something is actively hunting it then I certainly don’t want another casualty as a result.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't read anything in your tank that is normally aggressive to shrimps, I would write it off as a fluke, sorry for that

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back