White spotted anemone shrimp parasite?

Juicereef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2023
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Tampa
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi gang! My little guy has a trilobite shaped critter on the left side of his body underneath one of his spots.

Can anyone help me treat/identify this? Manual removal, soak etc. it looks like some sort of predatory isopod and am worried it could spread to my 6 sexy shrimp. IMG_0267.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0269.mov
    36.6 MB
Hi gang! My little guy has a trilobite shaped critter on the left side of his body underneath one of his spots.

Can anyone help me treat/identify this? Manual removal, soak etc. it looks like some sort of predatory isopod and am worried it could spread to my 6 sexy shrimp. IMG_0267.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 103
This is the little spot low on the shell, towards the front? A smaller one, but I would guess is a parasitic isopod that lives under the shell on its gills.

Not actually super hard to remove, but you need a suitably small tool - I used a needle threader intended for sewing needles. Just made a video of a procedure like this done on an antonbruunii cleaner shrimp, but the first time I did it, it was on one of these white spot cleaners, and I described it here: https://wamas.org/forums/topic/99548-shrimp-surgery-removing-a-parasitic-isopod/
 
This is the little spot low on the shell, towards the front? A smaller one, but I would guess is a parasitic isopod that lives under the shell on its gills.

Not actually super hard to remove, but you need a suitably small tool - I used a needle threader intended for sewing needles. Just made a video of a procedure like this done on an antonbruunii cleaner shrimp, but the first time I did it, it was on one of these white spot cleaners, and I described it here: https://wamas.org/forums/topic/99548-shrimp-surgery-removing-a-parasitic-isopod/
Thank you so much, my local aquarium guy is going to help me with the removal after you sending this over. I have a bit of a shaky hand
 
I ran into a similar thing the last time I did it, if you're working against a table or similar, just make sure your hands are in contact with it - having something to lightly press against engages the muscles and lessens any tremors quite significantly, whereas just holding your hands in the air will let the shake be many times more significant.

It is relatively fine detail work, though, so it doesn't hurt to find someone with some experience steadying their hands.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new