OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats kinds of corals do you have in the same tank or system ?

GSP, Palys, Acans, Rhodactis, Ricordia, Scoly, Lobo, Goniopora, Cyphastrea, Chalice, multiple Euphyllia, Duncan, Leptastrea, Montiporas, Acros, seriatoporas.

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on dips, I have these white sopts all over my zoa's as well and ATM only have coral Rx pro... Tried it once on them,aybe 10 minutes... Only a couple hours after they opened more than ever... But the white spots persist
1554955247538.jpeg

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on dips, I have these white sopts all over my zoa's as well and ATM only have coral Rx pro... Tried it once on them,aybe 10 minutes... Only a couple hours after they opened more than ever... But the white spots persist
1554955247538.jpeg

they may be sand/silt particles that some palythoas attach to their bodies. have you tried lightly brushing them off? are they hard like sand?

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they may be sand/silt particles that some palythoas attach to their bodies. have you tried lightly brushing them off? are they hard like sand?
I have been watching them for months, never seen anything move. Why do they attach it to them self? I will try to brush them off tomorrow though

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching them for months, never seen anything move. Why do they attach it to them self? I will try to brush them off tomorrow though

I don't think anyone knows the real reason yet, maybe it's a defence strategy or something.

yours do look like what I have, but I could see the white dots multiply quickly over days when I don't even have sand/silt since I run bare bottom.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone figured out what this is and how to fight it best ?

unfortunately I was not able to figure out exactly what they were, although the standard treatment for zoa pox with Furan-2 seemed to help for a while, it always came back.

With the ban on fish meds in Canada making it more and more difficult to acquire the Furan-2, my options were very limited. I tried peroxide which did nothing but tick off the zoas, and scrubbing/scraping with a scalpel, which only provided temporary relief.

finally I got fed up with this situation, and decided to cut off most of the Constellation colony which I believe brought the offending white spots into my tank; partly as an attempt to stop the spots, and partly to take out my anger at said colony. I did this because I noticed the Constellation colony would always grow the spots back before any other zoas after a Furan-2 treatment.

after deciding that I couldn't just throw away a 50 Canadian pesos coral completely, I chose the 2 polyps that grew from the frag, onto the seashell which they were glued, and never really showed the spots, and cut the rest of the colony off. curiously enough, my last ditch effort/shot in the dark finally cured the white spots completely; the remaining zoas slowly recovered and the spots never came back.

*tl;dr: don't know what it was but cutting out the patient zero colony fixed the problem

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the zoas in question
IMG_20191105_180520.jpg

the constellation colony that brought the white dots in are starting to take over now too

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! This seems to be a growing trend with no answer... I noticed that some new zoas get this and really struggle. Some just weaken over time while others fight it off..

anyone know what this is and how to remedy?

5C3B464C-FF27-4D02-9D9A-BA87FFBC4D1E.jpeg

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! This seems to be a growing trend with no answer... I noticed that some new zoas get this and really struggle. Some just weaken over time while others fight it off..

anyone know what this is and how to remedy?

5C3B464C-FF27-4D02-9D9A-BA87FFBC4D1E.jpeg

dunno what to tell you but I tried pretty much everything suggested in this thread. you may just have to sacrifice that frag. maybe keep 1 nonafflicted polyp. also I suggest putting it in a quarantine tank as it was very contagious in my tank. good luck

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a discussion on this with a well-known Zoanthid pro about what this might be.

It is not known what it is. Perhaps a sponge or parasite. Experiences are that this forms on stressed zoanthids who haven’t been fully healthy and open. We’ve seen it go away in time so long as you leave the coral be so it becomes stronger or more preferably ensure it gets stronger flow and then leave it.

just wanted to drop this in for those still fighting it.

OP
OP
eggplantparrot

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a discussion on this with a well-known Zoanthid pro about what this might be.

It is not known what it is. Perhaps a sponge or parasite. Experiences are that this forms on stressed zoanthids who haven’t been fully healthy and open. We’ve seen it go away in time so long as you leave the coral be so it becomes stronger or more preferably ensure it gets stronger flow and then leave it.

just wanted to drop this in for those still fighting it.

that makes more sense. it seemed to dominate on the newer frags i had (which was most of them...) and in the end my one and only established colony wasnt really affected.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I get it on newer frags too. Established and healthy zoas this does not impact ever. What’s interesting though is we have no idea what it is, so have no way of preventing it.

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cup of tank water and 4 drops of lugols, qtip gently all around the polyps. Soak for 5-10 mins and up the flow where you keep them. They won’t be overly happy about it but it’ll be gone the next day. It spreads.

tmorford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also having this issue at this time. Is anyone else have any information or experience with this issue?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back