White & Thriving

  • Thread starter Thread starter pnastys
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

pnastys

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
405
Reaction score
409
Location
Edmond
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first 40b I started almost ten years ago sucked me deep into this hobby. Starting with a cheap (5$) euphyllia, I killed a few fish due to salinity, and after being up over a year things started looking up. I got a reef breeder with 99-3 watt leds, a tunze ato, and I started dosing 2 part. I finally bought my first acro sps (30$!); I had to hide that cost back then, lol gives you an idea on my hobby cash. The sps grew, and it grew quickly. I added more and they all grew. I literally never killed one.
BUT! They lost color shortly after getting in my tank, which I eventually found out was because I didn’t feed the tank...at all, ever! Not even the fish! Still, nothing died.
I am posting this because I have struggled with acros in all future tanks, & I never found out how those acros were stone white (like they were dead), yet polyps were extending and their growth was exponential. I do want to reiterate that once I started feeding the tank (rods food) the colors literally burst out of all my acros. But prior to feeding they appeared perfectly healthy, but zero color...how/why?
 
BC of your lights. Light is a major acro food source. Light, Alk, Ca, trace elements from water changes is enough if balanced.

Your LEDs were low enough to be balanced to whatever nutrients were in the tank. And your fish were eating algae off the rocks.

And you were likely super stable on Alk and whatever nutrients you did have.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new