White Worm Culture Show Off

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 cultures at the moment. :)

I recently split 2 cultures
90F35DFF-3F4B-4BA0-AF07-AE82A91EFC0C.jpeg

Here’s my mother culture

23697C0B-80EE-49E5-B52A-83037873AAD0.jpeg
EBEB8D11-A6E6-4940-AB21-7A74FFFD7FF4.jpeg
35BE1C8F-8A46-4710-BEBC-E3BD92F60433.jpeg
A954B66F-6247-4A25-BC98-36238A220371.jpeg

And a video of them squirming for the folks who enjoy that sort of thing.

And a feeding video. (Ignore my breathing, I had allergies and my nose was a little stuffed lol)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one likes a show off Miami! :grinning-squinting-face:

Just kidding!!!!! Your skills are impressive. I'd subscribe to your worm channel. The cheerios with the hearts made me chuckle. :face-savoring-food:

Do you use organic soil? or something special?
Haha. I didn’t think you’d catch the heart cheerios.

This is the soil I use.
image.jpg
AB833EBE-29C7-469E-B2C4-856AC94B0D74.jpeg

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Miami. How do you keep the soil from getting really moist. Then the gnats come a small beatle like bug. Can’t seem to stop this from happening.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miami. How do you keep the soil from getting really moist. Then the gnats come a small beatle like bug. Can’t seem to stop this from happening.
My culture doesn’t have any gnats/mites.

Here’s what to do: get your starter culture and drown them in the bowl of water. Keep doing these bowl transfers over and over again to remove as much soil as possible. You want only the worms but it’s impossible to get 100% of the soil gone, but that’s perfectly fine.

Any mites should and will float to the surface. The worms will sink (they won’t die from being in freshwater for this period).

Then once the worms are relatively clean, get them into the clean, sterilized soil.

Most soil often contains mite/gnat eggs. I oven bake the soil at 180 to 200 degrees F. (82-93 C.) for at least 30 minutes, or when soil temp reaches 180F.

Keeping the soil damp is easy. Just get your hands wet and flick water in the soil until it’s moist enough. As long as the soil doesn’t turn into mud, it’s good.

If you put too much water (which is pretty difficult to do): rubber band paper towels to the inside of the Tupperware lid. As the moisture evaporates, the paper towels will absorb it. Change paper towels daily until the soil reaches your desired moisture level.

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you. I recently changed the soil in two of my cultures and did not bake the soil. 1 week in and I have mites/knats. I will do the baking of the soil and change them out again and see. Thanks again.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My culture doesn’t have any gnats/mites.

Here’s what to do: get your starter culture and drown them in the bowl of water. Keep doing these bowl transfers over and over again to remove as much soil as possible. You want only the worms but it’s impossible to get 100% of the soil gone, but that’s perfectly fine.

Any mites should and will float to the surface. The worms will sink (they won’t die from being in freshwater for this period).

Then once the worms are relatively clean, get them into the clean, sterilized soil.

Most soil often contains mite/gnat eggs. I oven bake the soil at 180 to 200 degrees F. (82-93 C.) for at least 30 minutes, or when soil temp reaches 180F.

Keeping the soil damp is easy. Just get your hands wet and flick water in the soil until it’s moist enough. As long as the soil doesn’t turn into mud, it’s good.

If you put too much water (which is pretty difficult to do): rubber band paper towels to the inside of the Tupperware lid. As the moisture evaporates, the paper towels will absorb it. Change paper towels daily until the soil reaches your desired moisture level.
"Most soil often contains mite/gnat eggs. I oven bake the soil at 180 to 200 degrees F. (82-93 C.) for at least 30 minutes, or when soil temp reaches 180F."

I'm just picturing my husbands face when I start baking soil in our oven..... OMG :grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Most soil often contains mite/gnat eggs. I oven bake the soil at 180 to 200 degrees F. (82-93 C.) for at least 30 minutes, or when soil temp reaches 180F."

I'm just picturing my husbands face when I start baking soil in our oven..... OMG :grinning-squinting-face:
You can also boil a pot of water and pour that into the soil (put the soil in an aluminum tray and cover until temp cools).

I’ve done this method as well and it also works the same way. It will smell like fresh dirt. It smells really good.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey white worm whisperer, (@Miami Reef ) ......how long (on average) does it take to harvest the worms once you start a batch?
Depends on your tank size. I’d say within a month you can start feeding a lot to a small fish tank.

I’ve been culturing since November 2021 ish and I’ve really been focusing on perfecting my methods and learning what foods I feed will produce the fastest results.

A study I’ve read showed that feeding “trout feed” had the best whiteworms growth rates, so it took me a long while before I gave up fish foods. I tried numerous pellets and flakes, but it didn’t really produce much results.

Right now I believe my method is as perfect as it’s going to get. I’m not feeding the fish the worms much at all. My goal is to have them reproduce and spread them out into numerous containers as possible. The more worms = the faster they double.

Here is the study (I don’t recommend trout feed based on my experience) : https://www.trjfas.org/uploads/pdf_222.pdf

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your tank size. I’d say within a month you can start feeding a lot to a small fish tank.

I’ve been culturing since November 2021 ish and I’ve really been focusing on perfecting my methods and learning what foods I feed will produce the fastest results.

A study I’ve read showed that feeding “trout feed” had the best whiteworms growth rates, so it took me a long while before I gave up fish foods. I tried numerous pellets and flakes, but it didn’t really produce much results.

Right now I believe my method is as perfect as it’s going to get. I’m not feeding the fish the worms much at all. My goal is to have them reproduce and spread them out into numerous containers as possible. The more worms = the faster they double.

Here is the study (I don’t recommend trout feed based on my experience) : https://www.trjfas.org/uploads/pdf_222.pdf
Cool thanks!... I'll check it out.

Falcar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is your method ? I just ordered a culture.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your method ? I just ordered a culture.
I got the perfect diet. 100% Greek yogurt. That is all you need. They are exploding in growth and I’m feeding my tank every day. I have too many worms now.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the perfect diet. 100% Greek yogurt. That is all you need. They are exploding in growth and I’m feeding my tank every day. I have too many worms now.
Where do you get the "starter worms"?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back