Who eats dying anemone?

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a long tentacle anemone about 6 weeks ago. First she crawled into a hole then came out and was trying to find a better place. Worked her way up in the tank and I think got sunstruck coz her tentacle tips started getting white.
Encourage her to move by blasting water on her foot with a basterr. She did move but retracted for a couple of days. I was not worried since she done that before. She still reacted to touch so i figured to just leave her alone.
this morning... she's gone. I mean completely gone. Can't find her in a nook or holes or anywhere in the tank.

Does anybody from the clean up crew eat dying anemones?

CUC:
- serpent star fish
- red fire shrimp
- pistol shrimp
- peppermint shrimp (who i have caught on film eating my periwinkles)
- several hermits
- Tuxedo urchin
- pencil urchin
- snails (nessarius, conch, turbo)

CJB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Not sure if anything will actively seek out a dead anemone and eat it. I know there are several snails and slugs that go after live ones. Certain star fish’s are known to go after anemones but I don’t believe the one you have. How big was she? and how big is your tank? When anemones die they release toxins into the water that can cause problems. If you can’t find her It’s possible she’s hiding really well in a rock or she deattached at night and got sucked into the filter sock or whatever you have for filtration. Or could’ve gotten sucked into a wave maker and got shredded to tiny pieces. Keep a close eye on the ammonia levels and nitrite they might spike. If possible do your best to find and remove the dead anemone. Hope this helps and you are able to get it sorted out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. So far Ammonia is constant. Tank is 32G. Nitrite and Nitrate in the usual range. Water very clear.
Guess I apply the reefers methods ... patience

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA and Haddoni sometime retracted completely under the sand. Hope it reappeared today for you.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, did a water change with filter cleaning. No trace.
I'm also missing a cleaner shrimp.
No molt nothing.....

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA's are sand dwellars. It might have buried itself.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTA's are sand dwellars. It might have buried itself.
It’s been enough time that I declare her lost. She did not show up again. My other Lta is doing fine. She nudged herself I. The gravel between glass and rock. Gently waving hello
E6B7CB21-4B5F-43F8-A1B3-1394437DA708.jpeg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt it got "sunstruck"! That is pretty hard to do with anemones, as they love light. If it has it would have moved away on its own. Bleaching usually means not enough light. Never heard of one bleaching from to much light. I suspect it moved there trying to get more light. Forcing it to move away from the light was a mistake in my opinion.

Back