Who else struggles with plumbing?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers,

Does anyone here also have an EXTREMELY difficult time with plumbing? The myriad of intricate PVC sizes to the never ending leaks and floods.

I’m just trying to plumb a new UV and I flooded my floor twice in the same day! This is insane.

Does anyone else hate plumbing?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had leaks but just trying to picture how to plumb certain things drives me crazy sometimes. I get a little on edge when it’s time to glue because once it’s glued that’s it. I usually buy ALOT of extra plumbing because we all know what happens if you don’t. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had leaks but just trying to picture how to plumb certain things drives me crazy sometimes. I get a little on edge when it’s time to glue because once it’s glued that’s it. I usually buy ALOT of extra plumbing because we all know what happens if you don’t. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Oh…we have to glue?

Protodad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh…we have to glue?
Oh man. I hope you are joking. All pvc connections that plan to have liquids in them need to be glued.

As it might be hard to find lots of tutorials for fish tanks, look up any kind of sprinkler PVC system for fitment, tips and glue/primer techniques. There are a million tutorials out there on proper techniques and where most of my (and I suspect many peoples) background with PVC comes from. I can’t say I’ve had something leak (when installed) in 20+ years.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miami Reef
For PVC, it is more than a glue. The stuff you need is typically called PVC cement and is a solvent that chemically bonds the PVC material together rather than just bonding surfaces.
...Just to make sure you get the right stuff and don't just get superglue or similar.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy I really hope your kissing if not that’s a recipe for disaster
I mean. I did buy the cement before I made this thread. I just didn’t use it because I wanted to make sure the system was perfect before I sealed everything. I just was shocked at all the leaks I didn’t know the glue stopped leaks like that, I just thought it prevented it from bursting apart with pressure.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway. Since I have you guys here.

Here’s my UV.

1. I cannot plumb it into my return line as my system doesn’t allow it without a plumbing redo.

Having it like the photo (my sump) is almost perfect, but the flow makes a ton of microbubbles in the DT. The outlet cannot be placed near the return pump.

Attachments

• 7245139C-AE58-4F98-9F78-4BF8E7D8D047.jpeg
    7245139C-AE58-4F98-9F78-4BF8E7D8D047.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 353FFE1D-05AC-4CCA-848D-54B835F948F6.jpeg
    353FFE1D-05AC-4CCA-848D-54B835F948F6.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 53
OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I shoot it from the sump into the DT through a new line?

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I surely wouldn't say I have a difficult time with it.
It's more like it scares the crap outta me. I have no idea how and I have never owned a plumbed tank, so I think everything about it (including figuring out auto dosing) intimidates me so badly.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean. I did buy the cement before I made this thread. I just didn’t use it because I wanted to make sure the system was perfect before I sealed everything. I just was shocked at all the leaks I didn’t know the glue stopped leaks like that, I just thought it prevented it from bursting apart with pressure.
PVC cement melts the pieces together. definitely want to use that before you run water.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I shoot it from the sump into the DT through a new line?

It’s best if you plumb it to your return otherwise not all the water is going through it. You also need to slow the flow for parasites as well as measure the flow to make sure you got it right… a bucket and a stop watch. There is a math equation somewhere….

You want something powerful otherwise you slow your return too much.

Not doing copper? Or just getting it ready for after?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best if you plumb it to your return otherwise not all the water is going through it. You also need to slow the flow for parasites. There is a math equation somewhere….

You want something powerful otherwise you slow your return too much.

Not doing copper? Or just getting it ready for after?
Just getting ready for after. I already have the copper in the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting ready for after. I already have the copper in the tank.

Ok well make sure you get the flow correct and have all water pass though it or it won’t really be worth your while.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're not glued together yet I'd put the outlet of the UV into the skimmer section to avoid bubbles. Or into your sock section.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding some of the suggestions above, I've never heard of anyone requiring all water go through your UV before going back to the display. That would require a huge unit in order for you to get the flow rate you need to your DT from the sump. Specially if you are actually trying to kill parasites with the dwell time. I'd think the wattage would be so large to meet that criteria it might over heat the tank.

Back