Who has a TRUE Weeping Willow?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to start a fight. Just that the original post on this thread was asking about the original weeping willow.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check page one and two, the toadstool you just linked is said to not be true weeping willow with pics of what people have recieved/grown. I have never purchased one from them though. They have some neat stuff but shipping is oofta to where I am at.
?? They are signature willows. 2"-3" is available now. $99. $39 FedEx Priority Overnight. There is a video of the mother colony.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
?? They are signature willows. 2"-3" is available now. $99. $39 FedEx Priority Overnight. There is a video of the mother colony.

Like I said, the people who bought them disagree. I don’t know what signature means, I have never seen corals come with registration papers tracing lineage to a parent colony.

Toadstools are hardy and good growers. There is nothing rare about them really, even the extra long polyp ones. The exception seems to be the original weeping.. the fact that no one seems to have really found it suggests it was never sold/traded much.

I fact it legit says.. they are not available. It also says it’s brown. I have never read this article till just now but it was easy to find.

“Let’s get one thing out of the way, there are NO original Weeping Willow leather corals for sale anywhere, because I know the three people I’ve ever given frags of this coral to.”

“It’s unfortunate that there are so many unscrupulous coral vendors labeling a regular long polyp leather coral – which should cost around $20 to $30 a frag – as a “real” Weeping Willow leather in order to charge double or triple without even bothering to demonstrate the actual Weeping Willow trait. On the other hand it’s absolutely comical and hard to imagine that we somehow got people to care about a brown leather coral so much that so many vendors are being cavalier with the name in order to make a buck.”

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my long polyp toadstool, I normally have 2 powerheads and my return pump running so the polyps sway around nicely. In the video below I turned off one powerhead and the return pump off (so only one powerhead was running), and with the way the toadstool had positioned itself on that day the polyps kinda fell downward. It doesn't always do it but if the conditions are right, they can sometimes fall down.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, the people who bought them disagree. I don’t know what signature means, I have never seen corals come with registration papers tracing lineage to a parent colony.

Toadstools are hardy and good growers. There is nothing rare about them really, even the extra long polyp ones. The exception seems to be the original weeping.. the fact that no one seems to have really found it suggests it was never sold/traded much.

I fact it legit says.. they are not available. It also says it’s brown. I have never read this article till just now but it was easy to find.

“Let’s get one thing out of the way, there are NO original Weeping Willow leather corals for sale anywhere, because I know the three people I’ve ever given frags of this coral to.”

“It’s unfortunate that there are so many unscrupulous coral vendors labeling a regular long polyp leather coral – which should cost around $20 to $30 a frag – as a “real” Weeping Willow leather in order to charge double or triple without even bothering to demonstrate the actual Weeping Willow trait. On the other hand it’s absolutely comical and hard to imagine that we somehow got people to care about a brown leather coral so much that so many vendors are being cavalier with the name in order to make a buck.”

There's no such thing as an original. The real original came from the red sea when Jesus was alive and you'll never get one of those. They grow, color morph, extend their polyps based on its environment. You can buy what you think is an original WYSIWYG willow and it might have short polyps or appear green in your tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my long polyp toadstool, I normally have 2 powerheads and my return pump running so the polyps sway around nicely. In the video below I turned off one powerhead and the return pump off (so only one powerhead was running), and with the way the toadstool had positioned itself on that day the polyps kinda fell downward. It doesn't always do it but if the conditions are right, they can sometimes fall down.

Looks nice. I think I like the pinkish better then the green.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any Sarcophyton leathers for sale in the hobby or are they generally all from Sinularia? I’d love a Sarcophyton (Even if it’s not a true Weeping Willow) but all I find are the Sinularia species.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’ll disagree with there being ‘nothing’ special about the leathers. The thing they bring that SPS don’t really bring is movement. And if you look around more then you may find that some have beautiful colouring.
For example, here’s two leathers I got that were sold as Sinularia (Both are under a lense for white light).
EB4856ED-CAE9-40E4-A536-EA0B427CA463.jpeg

67321531-0DDB-4936-851F-302607426B01.jpeg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’ll disagree with there being ‘nothing’ special about the leathers. The thing they bring that SPS don’t really bring is movement. And if you look around more then you may find that some have beautiful colouring.
For example, here’s two leathers I got that were sold as Sinularia (Both are under a lense for white light).
EB4856ED-CAE9-40E4-A536-EA0B427CA463.jpeg

67321531-0DDB-4936-851F-302607426B01.jpeg

You misunderstood me.

I don’t mean they are not interesting or beautiful.

Just that they are hardy and good growers. That they are not rare on the hobby. People charge 100-200 sometimes here for the ones labeled weeping willows. They do not die or get brown jelly like torches :p

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You misunderstood me.

I don’t mean they are not interesting or beautiful.

Just that they are hardy and good growers. That they are not rare on the hobby. People charge 100-200 sometimes here for the ones labeled weeping willows. They do not die or get brown jelly like torches :p
Totally agree that they can be really easy once you get past the issues of shedding and fragging!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<<One frag being from Remy "Bahama LLama Corals" and another from a strain off a gentleman named Kevin in the bay area with an unreal specimen. Ill have to snag some pictures soon for the thread! Cheers all!>>

any contact name for this person?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought frags of TCN weeping willow along with other varieties. Honestly depending on tank lighting, flow, coral age/last trimming the morphology varies drastically even in the same system in different areas. I gave frags to some friends of the TCN that divers den sells and some of my friends has 4”+ polyps, and in my tank the original mother… maybe 1/4” polyps. Toadstools seem even more variable tank to tank than acros even so while it would be neat to find a confirmed frag of the original picture I wouldn’t expect it to look or act like the original unless in the exact same conditions. Likewise many “imposters” are probably the exact same toadstool but just never developed the same morphology.

That’s been my experience keeping them over years and while I’m sure plenty will disagree the above has been my observation so I wouldn’t get too concerned with what is “legit” or not. When buying one labeled as a willow i just keep in mind it’s probably won’t develop like the original photo, but it might, or maybe you will hane something you like even more. Just if selling frags be clear the source (like tcn weeping Willow) for transparency much as we can

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. From Taiwan. Polyps are super supple.

IMG_0217.jpg
Honestly, the yellow polyped leather in the front looks stunning!
The brown/tanned one is nice but that yellow is so eye catching.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, the yellow polyped leather in the front looks stunning!
The brown/tanned one is nice but that yellow is so eye catching.
Yeah that one is from Japan! The brown one just resembles the true weeping willow in terms of it's colour, polyp shape etc. Both weep.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back