Who is using hydros to control heaters?

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who is using hydros to control heater? If so how are you doing so?

I have always used my apex JR with just titanium heating elements. I have never use a dedicated controller.
My next build i am having trouble deciding on going with apex or hydros and I am hoping this will help me decide.
the power strips for hydros don’t look very heavy duty for such a high amp draw task.
thanks.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Inkbird does my heater controlling.

My Hydros just watches the temp to send me alerts if needed.

If you do want to use a heater, it is very simple.

Screenshot_20210220-221936.jpg

There is a template already for it. All you have to do is say the TYPE is heater and all this is brought up. From there select your desired levels.

Active in modes can be used if your heaters become exposed during WCs or something.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Inkbird does my heater controlling.

My Hydros just watches the temp to send me alerts if needed.

If you do want to use a heater, it is very simple.

Screenshot_20210220-221936.jpg

There is a template already for it. All you have to do is say the TYPE is heater and all this is brought up. From there select your desired levels.

Active in modes can be used if your heaters become exposed during WCs or something.
Is the ink bird plugged into the hydros power strip?

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I do it too. I have two 75, watt heaters plugged into Inkbird which is plugged into the Hydros power strip. My heaters control temp. Inkbird keep them from going too high if the malfunction and the Hydros then monitors and will shut them both down if the heaters and Inkbird were to get stuck on for some reason. Hydros temp sensor sends alerts if out of range.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not. I started that way, but removed the Inkbird once I realized I didn't need to use the Hydros for it. Also freed a plug for something else.

My situation may be different than yours which may result in a different set up.

I work 5 minutes from home and never travel. If anything DOES happen to the Finnex thermostat and THEN something happens to my Inkbird, my Hydros will let me know. I will then just drive home.

I don't think that is a very high possibility, though.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not. I started that way, but removed the Inkbird once I realized I didn't need to use the Hydros for it. Also freed a plug for something else.

My situation may be different than yours which may result in a different set up.

I work 5 minutes from home and never travel. If anything DOES happen to the Finnex thermostat and THEN something happens to my Inkbird, my Hydros will let me know. I will then just drive home.

I don't think that is a very high possibility, though.
I appreciate your in put. I’m just scared of change... I had apex jr for 6 years running heaters with out issue. There is just so many heater malfunction threads, I just want to make a good decision on my controller and heating choices.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how I do it too. I have two 75, watt heaters plugged into Inkbird which is plugged into the Hydros power strip. My heaters control temp. Inkbird keep them from going too high if the malfunction and the Hydros then monitors and will shut them both down if the heaters and Inkbird were to get stuck on for some reason. Hydros temp sensor sends alerts if out of range.
What size tank are you running like this?

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your in put. I’m just scared of change... I had apex jr for 6 years running heaters with out issue. There is just so many heater malfunction threads, I just want to make a good decision on my controller and heating choices.
I agree.

Difference between my set up and yours is that you are using just elements. I think having a second layer of protection like the Hydros would be beneficial to you.

My heaters each have their own thermostat built in. Thats my first line of defense. Then Inkbird is backup. 3 failsafes would be overkill for me. I may still end up doing it down the line if I buy another Hydros strip, though.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am using 2x 200w Cobalt aquatics heaters. They have their own thermostat (which I've found to be off by quite a bit) and also plugged into my Hydros strip. If the internal thermostat fails on the Cobalt aquatics and it sticks on, the strip will eventually shut them off when it reaches my high temp max setting. Same for if they do not power on and the tank falls below my low temp alert - I will receive 200 text messages between the time I walk from the living room to my fish tank letting me know its High/Low. The Hydros literally blows up my phone and email when it sends me a Red Alert

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 2x 200w Cobalt aquatics heaters. They have their own thermostat (which I've found to be off by quite a bit) and also plugged into my Hydros strip. If the internal thermostat fails on the Cobalt aquatics and it sticks on, the strip will eventually shut them off when it reaches my high temp max setting. Same for if they do not power on and the tank falls below my low temp alert - I will receive 200 text messages between the time I walk from the living room to my fish tank letting me know its High/Low. The Hydros literally blows up my phone and email when it sends me a Red Alert
Do you feel that the hydros power strip is well built? Have you tested to see what it does after a power outage. Does it resume heating once power is restored?

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running 3 heaters on one outlet, I think they're 150w x2 and 1 250w. Hydros runs them all. Haven't had an issue.

I'm in texas they held up fine after this winter storm with the power on and off every hour for a few days.

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you feel that the hydros power strip is well built? Have you tested to see what it does after a power outage. Does it resume heating once power is restored?
Only time will tell on the quality of the powerstrip. For $40 it seems super cheap but it feels good in my hands and the switches sound good when they click on and off.

No issues with power loss. I've lost power here in Michigan for one reason or another and everything comes back online without issue.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydro is like an apex
Or? Sorry

looking to get all new heaters on controllers as well

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydro is like an apex
Or? Sorry

looking to get all new heaters on controllers as well
Yes, hydros is a new controller on the market as of OCT I believe.
It seems to be the most promising controller to come on the market in a long time. Apex and GHL are really the only two prior to this that IMO where worth anything.

DucatiGtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, hydros is a new controller on the market as of OCT I believe.
It seems to be the most promising controller to come on the market in a long time. Apex and GHL are really the only two prior to this that IMO where worth anything.
Thanks I’ll look Into it.. i have a doser, ai led, and fall safes for the slimmer and so on.. so I really only want the controller for the heaters..
I know some controllers measure all and calcium but I test weekly and don’t chase numbers.. i don’t fully trust them w the chemicals...

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’ll look Into it.. i have a doser, ai led, and fall safes for the slimmer and so on.. so I really only want the controller for the heaters..
I know some controllers measure all and calcium but I test weekly and don’t chase numbers.. i don’t fully trust them w the chemicals...
Then maybe you just need the inkbird WiFi heater controller

ajl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vastly prefer another thermostat directly controlling the heater. Either built in or an Inkbird. Because the plug is Wifi, it isn't controllable if your Wifi Router dies. And while it's very unlikely that your thermostat fails when your Wifi dies, it is a matter of time before your wifi dies and, when it does, it would be very good if your heater didn't get stuck on or off. Both too hot and too cold are real problems.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vastly prefer another thermostat directly controlling the heater. Either built in or an Inkbird. Because the plug is Wifi, it isn't controllable if your Wifi Router dies. And while it's very unlikely that your thermostat fails when your Wifi dies, it is a matter of time before your wifi dies and, when it does, it would be very good if your heater didn't get stuck on or off. Both too hot and too cold are real problems.
This is one of the concerns I have. My apex when lost WiFi it continues even if WiFi or internet is down with its schedule. That is not the case with hydros correct?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back