Who is using hydros to control heaters?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a WiFi Inkbird. The WiFi allows me to have direct remote access and remote monitoring of temperature. There are two Jagers plugged into the Inkbird, with the Inkbird controlling temp but the thermostat for the heaters acting as backups for the Inkbird. I have two heaters in case one goes out. The Inkbird plugs into a WiFi outlet controlled by a Hydros Control 4. That allows me another layer of redundancy in case either the heaters fail on with neither the Inkbird nor the heaters catching it or fail off, with alerts redundant to the Inkbird alerts. Then, in case all of these redundancies also fail, I have the IBS-M1 WiFi thermometer to completely independently monitor temperatures and alert me if something goes out of whack.

Other than hiring a full time nanny for the fish, I think I have this thing covered.

ajl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the concerns I have. My apex when lost WiFi it continues even if WiFi or internet is down with its schedule. That is not the case with hydros correct?
The Hydros continues to work and it doesn't need internet. I even think it may continue to trigger scheduled operations based on my experience with SmartLife devices. However, it can't turn the heater on and off based on temp without a wifi connection as far as I can see.

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros continues to work and it doesn't need internet. I even think it may continue to trigger scheduled operations based on my experience with SmartLife devices. However, it can't turn the heater on and off based on temp without a wifi connection as far as I can see.
Based on this information i think best advice would be to use a separate controller in addition to the hydros as others have said above. Thanks again for all the advice everyone shared. Now i just have to decide trident VS alktronic

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Eheim heater plugged into the Auto Aqua Temp-Security and then that is plugged into one of the WiFi outlets. The Hydros turns the heater on and off as needed. I have my heater turn on at 78.8 and off at 79.3. If the outlet ever gets stuck on the heater thermostat will shut off at 81-82 degrees. If that fails and the heater is stuck on, the Temp-Security will kill the outlet at 84.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back