Who keeps rotates return pumps?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a backup return pump. I have been using the same sicce syncra 3 for probably 4-5 years now and it dawned on me that I have no backup if it fails and I don’t think I have ever given it a good soak. I have taken it apart and brushed it off maybe twice which is to me a testament to sicce’s reliability. If I do get a back up it will probably be the same pump or maybe get the 4.0 and make the 3 a backup.

But I’m curious. How many actually rotate return pumps? The frugal part of me hates to spend $200 for a pump that’s going to sit on the shelf so I would have to rotate them to feel better about myself lol. Do you use the same brand? Do you prefer mag over DC? Seems to me the mag pumps are the gold standard for reliability.

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat I do not have a back up at this time but I am running a Neptune COR pump right now so having a backup would cost me another $299 so I was thinking about using a cheaper option for my back up. I am not a baller lol :p :p

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one go out many years ago on a 100 gal reef. I had to scrabble to replace it and ended up with a lot larger pump than I wanted but had no choice. Pumps are much more readily available now than 30 yrs ago but that is an excellent idea to have a back up. I don't know if I would rotate it.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 4 options.

• Buy an identical return pump to swap.
  • Just re-purpose your mixing pump as an emergency return - this way the pump is being used, it's not just sitting but it will do the job. If you have an elaborate hard plumbed mixing station this is probably not for you, but if you're frugal and you just use a barrel this will work fine.
  • Have an extra cheap pump on hand or retire old return before it dies and keep it for an emergency.
  • Go down with your existing return.

I swapped an old return that started to need a poke start after power failures and demoted it to mixing pump. When it finally died I just got a cheap pump on amazon. It doubles as a heater but mixes water just fine. In an emergency it has enough head pressure to act as a return for any of my 3 existing systems that have return pumps. This will be good enough for the few days to week I would need to replace any of my returns with either identical or upgraded pumps.

That being said my main return pump is an eheim 1262 that has been going 24/7 since 2006. I am going to be sad when it finally goes, however if it survives until I upgrade I will keep it as an emergency pump.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I used to do was, I would run a DC pump in the summer and an Iwaki in the winter, free heat.

muggle reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have typically run pumps until they died. Actually initially that was not intentional. I have a Red Sea max 130D. The early generation ran two return pumps when we purchased it, that relied on sucking water vs pumping. these were not reliable pumps and they went bad fairly quickly. Then Red Sea converted the system to a single sicce 1.5 pump which has worked much better. I use Sicce pumps, I have had two go I think, one for the skimmer and one for the return pump. I run a small tank, 35 gallon so I just keep a spare in the cabinet. It is a rare occurance but good to have one ready to go. I suspect my pups are lasting at least 3 years but don:t know. I had to replace one pump this year have no idea now how old it was.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reeflo hammerhead external pumps. I figure with the amount of money spent on a 350 gallon display mixed reef. Lighting, etc. The least I can do is have a backup return pump if something goes out. Thousands of dollars at risk because a $300-500 pump quits. . . So, I setup a hard plumbed mixing station with 2 75 gallon drumbs, with threaded plumbing connected to the pump. It's the same exact fittings as on my display, so, if / when the pump quits, I can swap, contact reeflo for a discounted replacement and get a new one for my mixing station (becasue reeflo is awesome like that!). I use it 8 hours a week (at most) to mix new salt water for my next 75 gallons of water changes.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use my backup for my mixing station if one blows then replace and switch to mixing station but no rotation other than that. Yes same brand and size.
+1 my mixing station will sacrifice its pump while I wait for another in the mail. Same exact pump by design.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one running a pond pump? I'm fairly certain this thing is about 9 years old. It came with my used setup... still chugging along. I looked it up once, it was still available and fairly cheap. I may retire it on the new build... due to age and potential failure, not performance. This begs the question.... what is the average life expectancy of a return pump?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no particular advantage to inter-swapping pumps. I keep a new, drop in replacement for my main PanWorld. Ran it initially to be sure there were no issues. Otherwise I want to know that it’s essentially brand new and not going to also quickly fail.

Back