Who Keeps Scorpions?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I fell in love with a little Yellow Spotted Scorpionfish and brought him home. At the moment he’s isolated in my reef but I think I’ll probably end up setting up his own tank.
Anybody keeping these (or other scorpions)? Any tips you have for keeping them. I’ve read they like live food, not sure if weaning onto frozen is an option or not.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very cute lovable fish, they stay rather small, max like 3". Will eat your shrimp, very small fish, devilish little ambush predator. What do you have him eating, sometimes you have to start them out on live ghosties , but tend to take dead food from a stick as easily as any other ambush predator, so 50/50. If you get him stick trained and you aren't keeping anything super small or are fond of keeping shrimp, then keeping him in your reef would be fine. But if he proves difficult to feed or you want to feed him live foods, which is the only way I would keep one, then a dedicated species tank would be in order. They would be happy in a little BC14, definitely nothing larger than a 20g, they are rather sedentary and reclusive. Tank set up should include some caves, overhangs, slopes, some rubble or even sps skeletons.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice find!

I haven't personally worked with one but from my reading I've heard mixed things about their conversion to frozen. In "Lionfishes and other Scorpionfishes" by Frank Marini it says that despite the effort put in this fish never converted to frozen. However Lionfish Lair (both on their website and on a thread on this forum (Renee's Nano Pred Tankmates) report to have had success in converting her specimen to frozen. I have also seen a few videos of them taking frozen and live so I'd say its certainly possible but each fish is an individual and sadly theres no guarantees when it comes to living things.

Hows the little guy doing for you?

Ryan1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoyed them for a while, that’s all I had for a few years hahah

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got mine living in the sump of my reef. Never had to try live food, he goes crazy for LRS. Still going strong!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this guy a couple of weeks ago, Ive been feeding him live gbosties. Ive found him to be more active that I expected, likely due to him constantly hunting. Ive found my lions are much more active than many expect by feeding live. Its also wild to see how fast this guy is, he stalks then in a blink of an eye, strikes.

20190120_170728.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back