Who Knows Aquatec Booster Pumps?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hunch my Aquatec 8800 has died. I flush my membrane for a minute or so when I start up my RO system and then flip a valve to direct water through the restrictor. When I do this I hear the pump noise change considerable.....it sounds like it's working harder. It's been this way since I installed the pump about 12 years ago or so. I went to make water today and did my normal thing, but when I flipped the valve, no change in pump noise....just the regular hum when I'm flushing. I do not have a pressure gauge on my antique RO unit, so no idea if the pump is raising the pressure. It's the lack of change in the noise that has me concerned it's not working. Anyone know these pumps?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a hunch my Aquatec 8800 has died. I flush my membrane for a minute or so when I start up my RO system and then flip a valve to direct water through the restrictor. When I do this I hear the pump noise change considerable.....it sounds like it's working harder. It's been this way since I installed the pump about 12 years ago or so. I went to make water today and did my normal thing, but when I flipped the valve, no change in pump noise....just the regular hum when I'm flushing. I do not have a pressure gauge on my antique RO unit, so no idea if the pump is raising the pressure. It's the lack of change in the noise that has me concerned it's not working. Anyone know these pumps?
Does you pump have a very small adjustment screw on it? If so, this is used to raise pressure. You could try to turn it clockwise 1/2 a turn to see if the pump noise changes. If it does not, the diaphragm inside the pump used for regulating pressure could be bad. I had to replace mine last year. Pump was about 13 years old at that point.

outside of that and without a pressure gauge, I am at a loss for anymore troubleshooting. Outside of if you notice less flow out of the unit.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve , thanks for your replies. I didn't know they sold replacement parts. Good to know.

Now here's the crazy part, during the summer months (warmer water) it takes about 1 hour, 15 minutes to fill a five gallon jug....and that's what I just got. Actually when my alarm went off, the jug was actually overflowing. This tells me that the pump is still producing pressure. I set my timer of 1 h, 10 m, and I'll see what I get for the second jug.

And I don't know if I have an adjustment screw....I had to take a picture to see the top of the pump, considering the switch and power supply are on a shelf directly above the pump. Is that silver thing (maybe an allen screw) on that raised protrusion the screw?

Aquatec Top of Pump.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve , thanks for your replies. I didn't know they sold replacement parts. Good to know.

Now here's the crazy part, during the summer months (warmer water) it takes about 1 hour, 15 minutes to fill a five gallon jug....and that's what I just got. Actually when my alarm went off, the jug was actually overflowing. This tells me that the pump is still producing pressure. I set my timer of 1 h, 10 m, and I'll see what I get for the second jug.

And I don't know if I have an adjustment screw....I had to take a picture to see the top of the pump, considering the switch and power supply are on a shelf directly above the pump. Is that silver thing (maybe an allen screw) on that raised protrusion the screw?

Aquatec Top of Pump.jpg
That little Allen head screw at top middle of picture is the adjustment screw. Clockwise raises pressure and counter clockwise decreases pressure. Out of the box, years ago, mine was set to 50psi. I run my rodi at about 88 psi or so. As for how much you are making, I could see it staying about the same if you never adjusted the pressure, as it may be the same or close to your homes natural pressure, but I wonder if you are just producing more waste water as a result.

Quick check of the diaphragm is just as easy as removing the torx head screws and gently lifting the head off. Do this slowly, as the diaphragm may want to stick to the base.

Side note, if the pump was adjusted lower than your incoming pressure, the pump could have been acting like a restriction valve. If there is a tear, you may now be making water faster, as there is no restriction. Not saying this is the case, but it is a possibility.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House pressure close to the pump pressure is not an issue. When I was interested in putting in a sprinkler system, my house pressure was only 35 psi. I also know from when I use to make water without the pump, it would take forever.

Anyway, my second five gallon jug took 1 h, 12 minutes.....that's normal for this time of year. So again, that pump is producing pressure, but just doing it quietly now.

So I'll just continue scratching my head and wondering, and consider either a second pump or the diaphragm part so that I'm ready for when it finely dies. It's close to the age of yours when you had to do the fix. I'm also going to pick up a pressure gauge so that I know what's going on.

Again, thanks for your knowledge on this.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggest you install a pressure gauge! https://www.buckeyehydro.com/pressure-gauges-1/

Last edited:

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does you pump have a very small adjustment screw on it? If so, this is used to raise pressure. You could try to turn it clockwise 1/2 a turn to see if the pump noise changes. If it does not, the diaphragm inside the pump used for regulating pressure could be bad. I had to replace mine last year. Pump was about 13 years old at that point.

outside of that and without a pressure gauge, I am at a loss for anymore troubleshooting. Outside of if you notice less flow out of the unit.
Without a pressure gauge I suggest you do not touch this adjustment screw

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very fortunate with the age of that pump. But in reality, the pump may have gone bad years ago but you never would have known it without a gauge.

Back