• Other

Votes: 28 19.2%

• Total voters

Bug235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In souther California area I don’t know a store that QT’s, they mainly drip acclimate, one I know fresh water dips all fish , they run salinity low way under 2 and some run low cooper level, that’s it, I spend an hour watching a fish if interested but QT just doesn’t seem to happen I been there when the get back from the wholesalers up in LAX

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In souther California area I don’t know a store that QT’s, they mainly drip acclimate, one I know fresh water dips all fish , they run salinity low way under 2 and some run low cooper level, that’s it, I spend an hour watching a fish if interested but QT just doesn’t seem to happen I been there when the get back from the wholesalers up in LAX
See I don’t understand the low levels of copper treating and I’ve heard that time and time again. Do low copper levels have any effect on parasites? @Humblefish @4FordFamily
If I were to take a guess I would say (at best) that they might slow the parasites down or maybe suppress them?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I don’t understand the low levels of copper treating and I’ve heard that time and time again. Do low copper levels have any effect on parasites? @Humblefish @4FordFamily
If I were to take a guess I would say (at best) that they might slow the parasites down or maybe suppress them?
Subtherapuetic copper does a few things. It kills the weaker parasites completely. It renders other weaker ones unviable so they may feed on a fish but will not reproduce. For the rest, the damage makes it so that they will reproduce in lower numbers. Over time, this would eliminate the parasites but with fresh parasites being regularly introduced it isn't reasonable to expect the system to ever be completely free.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subtherapuetic copper does a few things. It kills the weaker parasites completely. It renders other weaker ones unviable so they may feed on a fish but will not reproduce. For the rest, the damage makes it so that they will reproduce in lower numbers. Over time, this would eliminate the parasites but with fresh parasites being regularly introduced it isn't reasonable to expect the system to ever be completely free.
Okay so for a retail center with limited space that goes through inventory quickly this seems like the most viable option. And it’s good to know that the fish has already been introduced to copper since either way I’m going to run my own QT

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see online purchases as one less “stop” or intermediary between my fish and my quarantine tanks. Also love the guarantees.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shipping has gotten sky high and has made an impact on online livestock sales.
Then with those costs, we are faced with delays and most carriers will assume any responsibility for damage or loss.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the average box costs $56 total out the door including box, bags, fedex, etc. But I only charge $35 flat rate or free shipping above $249 - with the hope that enough is ordered to make up the shipping gap.

As for delays, I have a two week guarantee on everything even with delays. So if there is weather or plane etc delay, I’ll refund or replace it. Until you get coral safe in your hands, it’s on me to get them there. The customer should never have to be out of pocket because of shipping delay!

GSPClown94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have an issue with many lost, damaged, and delayed packages from UPS, USPS, and FedEx that I won’t even consider ordering anything that is alive. Luckily I have a few awesome live fish stores in my area.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see online purchases as one less “stop” or intermediary between my fish and my quarantine tanks. Also love the guarantees.

Unfortunately...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. Home
...beats out...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. UPS
  7. Home
Never mind that you're buying sight unseen in scenario two as that's a deal-breaker all by itself. ;Dead

I also think guaranteeing livestock (especially wild-caught livestock) in general is problematic.

The guarantee frequently gets used as a cover for bad husbandry and/or bad shipping practices.

Further, folks act A LOT more responsible with their purchase habits when there's no guarantee. (Even find ways to avoid "bad luck".)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. Home
...beats out...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. UPS
  7. Home
Never mind that you're buying sight unseen in scenario two as that's a deal-breaker all by itself. ;Dead

I also think guaranteeing livestock (especially wild-caught livestock) in general is problematic.

The guarantee frequently gets used as a cover for bad husbandry and/or bad shipping practices.

Further, folks act A LOT more responsible with their purchase habits when there's no guarantee. (Even find ways to avoid "bad luck".)
One less tank or water system, and sight unseen with a guarantee.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. Home
...beats out...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. UPS
  7. Home

I can’t really agree here. There are WYSIWYG online, so that isn’t sight unseen. And my guarantee has nothing to do with bad husbandry or bad shipping practices. I take utmost effort to grow and maintain healthy happy coral, and I take extra care in shipping. I don’t cheap out on the styrofoam cooler or heat/cool packs (I use the best there is), I triple bag, etc. But if after all that something does go wrong I offer a two week guarantee and that is well beyond what most LFS and online vendors offer (if any). I also cover fedex or weather delay.

As for folks being more irresponsible because of the guarantee, I have yet to see it myself. I think most in this hobby care about their livestock a great deal.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. Home
...beats out...
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. Retail
  6. UPS
  7. Home

I wish it were that easy on livestock!

Buying Retail:
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. UPS
  6. Retail
  7. Car
  8. Home
Direct ship from Wholesale (Such as Live Aquaria)
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. UPS
  6. Home
Buying from Online Vendor Stock
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. UPS
  6. Retail
  7. UPS
  8. Home
And even this is a bit deceptive since a good retailer can be like hitting the reset button on stress and help the livestock recover prior to coming to us. Of course, a bad retailer can cause the livestock to continue to decline.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I'm guessing from your post that you've never worked in a store or wholesaler. ;)

(I've only worked in one retailer, so that's all I'm claiming – but it was for about 5 years, they were all-saltwater and had been around a LONG time.)

If you want a complete list, you need to add a large time delay on the beach and LONG shipping in between each step – really even more detail than that would be good to account for. UPS is probably only involved in retail transactions most of the time. (Shipping directly via airlines is standard.)

How about a more agreeable list? :)

LFS->Home is the best route you can go:
  • the fish get de-stressed sooner
  • get treated better (as their facility is public)
  • you get to observe fish as long as you want
  • you get to hand pick your fish
  • the fish has a calm ride home
  • in a nice large bag of water
  • in a cushy warm car
  • only going a few blocks or miles.
Non-local options:
  • re-stress the fish by shipping them again
  • you have no way to verify how the facility is being kept
  • you have no ability to observe fish for any amount of time
  • someone you've never met will pick out your fish AND bag them (did they pin the fish to the side of the tank while catching them? did catching them require an hour chase around the tank? did the fish flip out of the net and land hard on the floor? you'll never know, but THAT STUFF HAPPENS)
  • their ride home requires being in a bag for hours or even a day+ sometimes
  • their ride is probably not air-conditioned
  • knowing what the local conditions were like where they came from

And since mistakes get covered with guarantees, you aren't even likely to hear about many of their problems – let alone see them for yourself.

Caveat emptor always applies no matter what.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 I'm guessing from your post that you've never worked in a store or wholesaler. ;)
I've helped my LFS unload their shipment from a wholesaler. Although that came in via 6 large Fedex boxes, not UPS. This experience actually made me rethink my acclimation practices. I was shocked at how it was done. I decided to keep doing it the same way I normally did but realize I have much more room for error than I had thought.

I was also thinking that we both left out the fact they may not go from the beach to the wholesaler. They may go from the beach to a holding facility.

Regardless, the time from capture to our tanks is a very stressful one on livestock. It is very important to keep that in mind.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish it were that easy on livestock!

Buying Retail:
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. UPS
  6. Retail
  7. Car
  8. Home
Direct ship from Wholesale (Such as Live Aquaria)
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. UPS
  6. Home
Buying from Online Vendor Stock
  1. Ocean
  2. Beach
  3. Trans
  4. Wholesale
  5. UPS
  6. Retail
  7. UPS
  8. Home
And even this is a bit deceptive since a good retailer can be like hitting the reset button on stress and help the livestock recover prior to coming to us. Of course, a bad retailer can cause the livestock to continue to decline.
Also, this only applies in the case of wild/mariculture. I carry a ton of stuff that is locally aquacultured and has been for years.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This experience actually made me rethink my acclimation practices. I was shocked at how it was done. I decided to keep doing it the same way I normally did but realize I have much more room for error than I had thought.

Good move helping out at the LFS! Everyone should! :)

(PM me if you'd like to hear more surprising info along the same lines from my experience. Too shocking to post in public. :p)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back