Who quit it and why?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton that is. I'm currently dosing store bought live phytoplankton. I'm not impressed so far. I'm thinking about culturing my own and increasing the dosage. I like to hear from those who have tried phyto dosing and quit for one reason or another. Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I use. I can mix it up myself (saving money?) It seems to produce good pod reproduction in the tank. My NPS corals also seem to thrive when dosing this vs the regular bottled stuff. The sun corals put off little ones every month.
Saving money? is the big question. They charge a lot for shipping so its best to get other stuff.
I do not know any LFS that would carry this type of product so you have to order direct.
When I worked 30 miles away from them, they would send it "ground" saving me a ton of shipping. They dont do will-calls.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phytoplankton that is. I'm currently dosing store bought live phytoplankton. I'm not impressed so far. I'm thinking about culturing my own and increasing the dosage. I like to hear from those who have tried phyto dosing and quit for one reason or another. Thanks.
Yep, used to dose Phyto. After a few years concluded the film algae on the glass which I dispersed into the water column with every glass cleaning, was the same.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew it for a while and added some daily.
IMG_3935-L.jpg

IMG_3886-L.jpg

3 x 3 liter bottles is 2.4 gallons a week.
I saw no changes when I started or stopped.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was dosing Phyto but didnt really see results so stopped.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, used to dose Phyto. After a few years concluded the film algae on the glass which I dispersed into the water column with every glass cleaning, was the same.

I don't think phyto can be sedentary

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose it because I have things they only eat phyo. I also use it to feed my zooplankton

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does this mean? Film algae are sedentary, and a food source, surely

I don't think that phytoplankton is stationary like film algae or hair algae. I am pretty sure it is always suspended.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back